• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Breaking into Project Management

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breaking into Project Management

For a few weeks, I thought I had my ideal break... back into an old client as a kind of Junior Tech Project Manager, but it looks like its fell through, so as of Friday I'm on the bench.

Any tips on how to break in to PM'ing? I've got my PRINCE2, but woundering how to get the experience... its one of those viscious circles... any ideas?

Thanks

The rates for PMs atm are terrible, stick to whatever you are up to for the time being and bide your time.

As for getting a role straight off with not enough experience, it won't happen, the only way it might is by pushing for the opportunity on a gig, if it comes your way.
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

"The rates for PMs atm are terrible"

I bet they are better than 3rd Line support and 'bench' work lol

Comment

^ WSS

The market's flooded with PM's, probably all with more experience than you unfort.

I'd look at PMO stuff for the short term if I were you.

Good luck
        Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
        +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Pardon my ignorance, but what is PMO?

Comment

Originally posted by peterc2609 View Post
            Pardon my ignorance, but what is PMO?
            Do you really want to embarrass yourself by asking that without doing a bit of search on the net etc.

The contractor market is crying out for PMs like you...go for it

Comment

LOL

I do know what PMO is, I had just always thought of it as kind of admin.

I'm looking more down the technical route than the traditional pm route, if you know what I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by Olly View Post
                Do you really want to embarrass yourself by asking that without doing a bit of search on the net etc.

The contractor market is crying out for PMs like you...go for it
                That's if he can get past all the recently made redundant permie PMs who are taking rididulously low rates and undercutting all the contractors.
                "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

LOL

I'm looking more down the technical route than the traditional pm route, if you know what I mean.
                  No I have NO idea what you mean. You asked what PMO is but say you know the answer. Are you just checking we all know? That's very kind of you.

What are you technically skilled in, to what level and how much experience do you have? In addition what PM, leadership skills do you offer.

I get the impression you're a kid. At least you appear to be a native English speaker, that's a better start than some.
                  Last edited by Olly; 29 March 2010, 09:48.

Comment

LOL

On second thoughts, perhaps not. Project Support is what you're thinking of. As someone who's implementing and running a PMO function at the moment, I take exception to my team being referred to as admin.
                    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Working...
                    X