• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

English...NOT!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

English...NOT!

What has happened to the English language? WHY do people insist on appending the word ‘not’ to something they say, for example, 'Gordon is really competent…NOT!'

What is wrong with using the word in its proper place in the sentence, just after the words ‘is’ or ‘does’?

Is this some nasty habit taken over from the Septics, just like repeated use of the word ‘like’ and ‘going forward’?

Would the death penalty be too harsh?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    What has happened to the English language? WHY do people insist on appending the word ‘not’ to something they say, for example, 'Gordon is really competent…NOT!'

What is wrong with using the word in its proper place in the sentence, just after the words ‘is’ or ‘does’?

Is this some nasty habit taken over from the Septics, just like repeated use of the word ‘like’ and ‘going forward’?

I believe that it is, or at least originally was, a style consciously and humourously lifted from the film "Wayne's World".

So, no.

Comment

like... whatever.

Oh, and what about "Shut up!"?

Comment

Why do people insist on using the "faux" slang "Septics" rather than using the correct name for our cousins across the Atlantic?

Comment

Asphinctersayswhat?
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
            Why do people insist on using the "faux" slang "Septics" rather than using the correct name for our cousins across the Atlantic?
            Rhyming Sang in't it? Septic Tanks.....

Comment

Not sure where it came from but I've a feeling it's Californian valley-speak. It's been around for ages though, at least since the early 90's since I can vaguely remember everyone at school starting to say it.

Comment

I hated it back in the 80s when people started doing that.

And Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure made it popular before Wayne's World. Bogus.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                  Rhyming Sang in't it? Septic Tanks.....
                  Your reply doesn't really answer the question, does it?

Thanks, not!

Comment

Thanks, not!
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X