• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working in Isle of Mann

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working in Isle of Mann

Hi there
    Have you, or do you know of anyone, who has gone to work in the Isle of Man? I sometimes get recruiters calling me about jobs there. It wouldn't take me that long to get there from my part of the world. I wonder what it's like to work there? Nice chicks there? Reasonable living costs? Nice people or not? Decent pubs?

Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
    Hi there
    Have you, or do you know of anyone, who has gone to work in the Isle of Man? I sometimes get recruiters calling me about jobs there. It wouldn't take me that long to get there from my part of the world. I wonder what it's like to work there? Nice chicks there? Reasonable living costs? Nice people or not? Decent pubs?
    Good lad, getting all the basics right, chicks and pubs....

Comment

Like most small communities, they have a very healthy regard for the mentally handicapped.
      You know what you wanna do with that right, you wanna put a bangin' donk on it!
      Put a donk on it!

Comment

1. You will need a work permit (yes even from the UK) but it's no problem to get one.
        2. IOM has two seasons, wet, and very wet.
        3. The island is stuck in 60s.
        4. The sea is too polluted to swim.
        5. It is great for country walks as long as you don't mind the rain.
        6. No night life to talk about.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

They have 1000s of nutters on fast motorcycles turn up for 2 weeks in early June I believe for the TT.

Would be heaven for me.
          Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Is it true that there's no speed limit on open roads either?
            Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

http://www.iomguide.com/drivingontheisleofman.php

"Unlike the UK there is no national speed limit. There are speed restrictions in built up areas, but after passing a 'National Speed Limit' sign there ceases to be any speed restriction, although people driving in a reckless manner may well be stopped by the police."

Sounds like fun, keep planning to get over there but not managed it yet.

Sound like a fast car or bike is a necessary purchase if you end up contracting there. :-) Have fun.
              Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

ahhh the joys of living and working on the wonderful Isle of Man

you can find some useful info here http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Isle_of_man

Comment

I worked there for just over a year in 2000-2001.

Pros:

1. It's a really beautiful place, with just about all the natural features of the British Isles crammed in to one little island - mountains, glens, beaches, fields, hills, cliffs, woods, the whole lot. Lovely variety.

2. We took the children with us (it was a permie job, but the company folded in the dotcom crash), and it's a great place for children, including good schools of course.

3. You can (could) rent a big house in a beautiful location for peanuts compared to England.

4. The TT is fantastic, to the point of mindblowing. There are loads of other events as well as the actual racing as well. The whole place bursts into life. There is the Manx (motorcycle) Grand Prix as well later in the year, and a classic bikes race in the south of the island, but it's only the TT which lives up to the legend.

5. Good services and tax rates if that sort of thing applies to you.

Cons:

1. Outside of the TT there isn't much going on, at all. They have various minor events, and they have tourist draws like the steam trains and the trams, but you quickly start to feel claustrophobic if you're there all the time.

I think that's the only real con, but it's quite a big con. Won't be an issue if you're traveling back every weekend though, but then you won't get any of the advantages either if you do that.

The myth about the Isle of Man being stuck in the 60s or the 50s is daft though. I mean, it's no different from pretty much anywhere in the UK outside of the big cities but, if anything, it's more relaxed.

And say hello to the fairies for me.

Comment

Working...
                  X