• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sorry guys

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry guys

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8593210.stm

Did the over-45s ruin life for the rest of us?

The richest, most powerful generation that ever lived is embarking on a comfortable retirement. But why does it feel like they've pulled up the ladder with them?

Not my dad; born with fook all, died with fook all.

My mum, she's still got fook all...

To be honest, they just wouldn't understand the amount I turnover, so that report is meaningless to me...
    Last edited by ratewhore; 29 March 2010, 16:22. Reason: flip just doesn't cut it
    Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tarquin Farquhar
      From the article:

Oh, so young adults were making £20,000 in the early 70s?

Please restrict statistics to this planet.
      Learn to read.

£60K in TODAY'S money.

The house probably cost £5K.

Comment

Anyone with ability who makes a reasonable effort can still do ok. At 27, no 2 son is earning more than I ever did. There are just too many crappy useless people about blaming everybody else for their general crappiness and dragging the non crappy people down,.

PS They are crappy.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Tarquin Farquhar
          From the article:

Oh, so young adults were making £20,000 in the early 70s?

Please restrict statistics to this planet.
          It said 'in today's money'.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            Anyone with ability who makes a reasonable effort can still do ok. At 27, no 2 son is earning more than I ever did. There are just too many crappy useless people about blaming everybody else for their general crappiness and dragging the non crappy people down,.

PS They are crappy.
            Oi Xog, that was so poor, in fact it was crappy!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Learn to read.

£60K in TODAY'S money.

The house probably cost £5K.
              So house price inflation is too high. That doesn't mean that "the baby boomer generation took all the wealth from later generation". Salary inflation has been about 10x over that period. Why has house price inflation been higher?
              Step outside posh boy

Comment

Originally posted by Tarquin Farquhar View Post
                So house price inflation is too high. That doesn't mean that "the baby boomer generation took all the wealth from later generation". Salary inflation has been about 10x over that period. Why has house price inflation been higher?
                Because people are better off now? Strictly speaking, houses can not be too expensive: they are worth what people are willing to pay for them. Not what people would like to pay for them.

Comment

Dear HMG,
                  I am a Baby-Boomer that is not actually stacked to the gunwails with loads of extra dosh. Is there perhaps some Grant that I might be entitled to that will bring me upsides with my peers?

yours sincerely

SB in "hand-out" mode
                  “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

and they're also responsible for climate change, having pumped out more CO2 than any other generation.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X