• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Large Hadron Collider – Live!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Large Hadron Collider – Live!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/global/201...adron-collider

makes a change from Live Buget or Live Chancellors.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03/22/telegraph_lhc/

http://largehardoncollider.com/nyt_lhc.html

Comment

How delightful.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Not quite yet, it has some minor delays
        The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

I mean the live coverage.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
            I mean the live coverage.
            But wont we actually experience the end of the universe before we see it?
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
              But wont we actually experience the end of the universe before we see it?
              Pretty sure you'll be dead long before the end of the universe.

The worst CERN will do is make a big hole in Switzerland if the power plant blows up...
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post

The worst CERN will do is make a big hole in Switzerland if the power plant blows up...
                Is that proven or just hypothesis like dark mater?

Some scientists were concerned that the Earths atmosphere could have caught fire before they tested the first atom bomb, all these extremely small risks add up.
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                  Is that proven or just hypothesis like dark mater?

Some scientists were concerned that the Earths atmosphere could have caught fire before they tested the first atom bomb, all these extremely small risks add up.
                  AtW's very concerned about this too.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post

AIUI there is a theoretical model in which the universe could tunnel into a state that could not even contain matter as we know it. It's not just a black hole, it's no universe.

To be sure, we wouldn't know about it.

Comment

Working...
                    X