• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

That bit up there

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That bit up there

I have just heard the BBC traffic report speak of bad weather in "the Scotland area". That seemed to me a strange and rather telling way to describe an entire Constituent Country. Has anybody ever heard the BBC speak of "the England area"?

Thought not.

Originally posted by expat View Post
    I have just heard the BBC traffic report speak of bad weather in "the Scotland area". That seemed to me a strange and rather telling way to describe an entire Constituent Country. Has anybody ever heard the BBC speak of "the England area"?

Thought not.
    To be fair, the Scottish weather can be summed up like that a fair amount of the time.

Hate to ask, but are you working at the moment?

Comment

Originally posted by Rantor View Post
      To be fair, the Scottish weather can be summed up like that a fair amount of the time.

Hate to ask, but are you working at the moment?
      Yes (thank you) but don't think that's going to make me mellow. We're still fscked. IT in the UK is fscked as a career: NL's idea of a technological economy is allowing British business to bring in more and more cheap programmers from another place.

I blame the one-eyed Scottish bogeyman myself (in the interests of balance).

Comment

Thought not.
        It probably refers to new EU regions that have been drawn up on some map in Brussels.

No doubt the "Scotland area" includes much of Northern England, down to say Yorkshire, and the "England area" includes a chunk of North East France and Belgium.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          It probably refers to new EU regions that have been drawn up on some map in Brussels.

No doubt the "Scotland area" includes much of Northern England, down to say Yorkshire, and the "England area" includes a chunk of North East France and Belgium.
          Damn right! That's as it should be.

Comment

Damn right! That's as it should be.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
            X