• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What Rate Are You Holding Out For?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Rate Are You Holding Out For?

I see a number of posts saying that they are waiting for rates to improve...

For someone in London working in front office finance what would people be happy with exactly?

550? Or a lot more?

Originally posted by joey122 View Post

For someone in London working in front office finance what would people be happy with exactly?

550? Or a lot more?
    Depends what you mean by "holding out"... If you mean sit on your arse scratching your balls whilst waiting for £550, then I'd say you are a bit silly.

Personally I wouldn't hold out for any rate.
    Cats are evil.

Comment

I'd hold out for a rate but its more to do with economics. A rate has to be high enough for me to have enough to take home to pay for mortgage, cars, food, bills etc after all the working expenses are covered.
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

I used to say I wouldn't work for less than £175 a day.

Then the only gigs offered started to be £150 so I had to follow them down.

Rather the cash than splinters.

Comment

I'm holding out for "my mates the PM rate"

I had an interview this week for a role paying my preferred rate. However the PM didn't seam to recognise me.
          Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

There's a lot of bravado on here when it comes to rates... you see a lot of people here saying "haha 250 I'd never work for that little" but that's a lot for some skillsets/locations. All this 500+ malarky a day is pretty much restricted to the London/Financial demographic, so if you are a PHP developer in Telford, holding out for that sort of figure is ludicrous.

The truth is you get as much as you're willing to ask for, and the actual rate you get is not just down to your skills - it's a marketable commodity - you get paid what the market can support, and that varies depending on a lot of factors.
            Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

I'm waiting to get headhunted, not bothered about the rate, just the kudos of being taken to lunch before I get screwed by the agent.

Sasguru.

Comment

Originally posted by joey122 View Post

550? Or a lot more?
                No do being pay so many England Pounds for Software Engineers.

I am doing all codes with much quickness and plenty cheapness.

I will being most happy in the front of you finance office.
                I do all codes.
                Much Quickness - Plenty Cheapness.
                New most excellent Blogger: http://shawadiwadi.blogspot.com/
                New YouTube Channel: BobShawadiwadi

Comment

afternoon bob I like your new poster campaign
                  Last edited by chef; 31 March 2010, 12:50.
                  The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by BobShawadiwadi View Post
                    No do being pay so many England Pounds for Software Engineers.

I am doing all codes with much quickness and plenty cheapness.

I will being most happy in the front of you finance office.
                    How true this is!!

I had to telephone interview last week - the guy would not join a telcon as he wanted us to pay the phone call to him.

Against my wishes agent got him to agree to telcon, so we had to proceed.

Pretty obvious that the CV was taken from someone else and they had no idea about the basics on the CV.

Told me that he had 'Handsome knowledge' about everything we asked him about.

Totally bonkers.

Comment

Working...
                    X