• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ow my eyes!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ow my eyes!

About a year ago I went to SpecSavers for the first time. They prescribed some varifocals, first time I've had those too.

Apart from the fact that they never got the fit right (the damn things are forever falling off, esp. when I'm eating a meal they slide off), I find when I look at a screen I have to look up so I see the screen through the 'close up' bottom part of the lens.

So at the moment I'm using my old specs for close up screen work and reading, and the varifocals for everyday stuff such as driving, walking(!) and so on.

I think I'm going to go back to a proper optician/optometrist and get this sorted out. I'm sure the new specs have made my eyes worse too

Where do you folks (the few who don't have 20:20 vision ) get your specs? Do you use varis for screen work?

Unfortunately my eyes are so fecked up I can't have the laser thingy.

EDIT: Indeed my avatar shows me looking up. See, I told you
    Last edited by Platypus; 31 March 2010, 23:41.

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    About a year ago I went to SpecSavers for the first time. They prescribed some varifocals, first time I've had those too.

Apart from the fact that they never got the fit right (the damn things are forever falling off, esp. when I'm eating a meal they slide off), I find when I look at a screen I have to look up so I see the screen through the 'close up' bottom part of the lens.

So at the moment I'm using my old specs for close up screen work and reading, and the varifocals for everyday stuff such as driving, walking(!) and so on.

I think I'm going to go back to a proper optician/optometrist and get this sorted out. I'm sure the new specs have made my eyes worse too

Where do you folks (the few who don't have 20:20 vision ) get your specs? Do you use varis for screen work?

Unfortunately my eyes are so fliped up I can't have the laser thingy.
    And how does this post relates to "General issues affecting and of interest to contractors"?

BAN HIM!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      And how does this post relates to "General issues affecting and of interest to contractors"?
      Unlike you, AtW, I actually LOOK at the screen when I'm working. Perhaps if you did the same you might have been successful by now

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

BAN HIM!
        Because as (mostly) IT contractors we use screens and small components a lot and eyes being able to focus comes in quite useful for that?

Platypus I'm fortunate that I don't need glasses yet although I suspect I might before overly long. I asked a couple of glasses wearing friends for recommendations of opticians to have a test and they both mentioned one of the local non chain places.

Silly question, but aren't glasses covered under the same Sale of Goods act regs as other stuff so you could have gone back to get the glasses adjusted for proper fit?

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
          Silly question, but aren't glasses covered under the same Sale of Goods act regs as other stuff so you could have gone back to get the glasses adjusted for proper fit?
          I gave up after literally 4 refits and plenty of being fobbed off. It got so when I entered the shop, there were mutterings and the staff summoned the manager immediately to deal with me. It became apparent they were never going to sort it out, due to incompetence, and as it's a 20 min drive to my nearest SpecSavers, I simply gave up.

Comment

I gave up after literally 4 refits and plenty of being fobbed off. It got so when I entered the shop, there were mutterings and the staff summoned the manager immediately to deal with me. It became apparent they were never going to sort it out, due to incompetence, and as it's a 20 min drive to my nearest SpecSavers, I simply gave up.
            I'd have been tempted to tell them since they couldn't correct the issue then I want my money back.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
              I'd have been tempted to tell them since they couldn't correct the issue then I want my money back.
              They kept telling me how it takes time to 'get used' to new glasses, i.e. they didn't admit there was an issue.

Comment

Try out a few specs in Boots, etc (even the £ shop, though their £1 glasses lenses are probably plastic), to see what prescription suits you for computer use. If you eye prescriptions differ, you could always buy two pairs relatively cheaply and swap out the lenses. It may be that a you'd be happier with a slightly more positive prescription than a regular pair of readers that an optician would provide and varifocals do sound like a bit of a jack of all trades and master of none approach.

Comment

I went to SpecSavers in Cambridge last year for a long overdue eye test, and was told that I'd finally graduated to needing reading glasses in addition to distance glasses (which I've been wearing for both purposes since I was about twelve). FWIW, the people there were very good, unlike your lot.

They suggested varifocals, but I thought about it and realised that when I'm looking at a screen or a book, I'm looking at it, so varifocals make no sense - I'd be faced with the problem you describe of having to tilt my head back all the time.

Varifocals may be OK for those who only glance down to read stuff occasionally, but when reading (whether off a screen or a page or both) is what you do for most of your waking/working moments, it's essential to have a pair of prescription reading glasses, despite the additional expense and inconvenience

Comment

They kept telling me how it takes time to 'get used' to new glasses, i.e. they didn't admit there was an issue.
                    Classic lie as used by Dolland and Aitchison, too.

You've been had by a cowboy.

(NN, who has been wearing glasses for 4 decades and does not waste money on cheap spex.)
                    You know what you wanna do with that right, you wanna put a bangin' donk on it!
                    Put a donk on it!

Comment

Working...
                    X