• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A wise man speaks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A wise man speaks

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today...00/8594561.stm

And he seems to agree partially with both sides of the polarized debates we normally see on here. He's worth listening to even if you don't agree with everything he says.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

The planet is hardly in danger. And no we can't prevent climate change. Gaia theory, pah, it's pretty obvious as if the planet weren't a giant ecosystem (like an organism) that we'd never have evolved and be here to say so.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      The planet is hardly in danger. And no we can't prevent climate change. Gaia theory, pah, it's pretty obvious as if the planet weren't a giant ecosystem (like an organism) that we'd never have evolved and be here to say so.
      So!

Comment

I only agree with "Trying to save the planet is a lot of nonsense"

The planet survived near extinction of the species long before man came along, and as an ecosystem, it will probably potter along merrily long after we are gone.

Even if "global warming" ever managed to get under control, do you honestly think it would ever be mentioned?

PAH
        Who has time? Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have time?

Comment

Assuming the CO2 theory is correct.The hurdle has been set so high it's impossible to achieve, there's no way we can reduce CO2 emissions to get it back down. I heard one report that the billions spent by the Germans on wind generation would delay global warming by an hour.

Nothing against sensible alternatives to fossil fuel, but apart from nuclear and hydro there just isn't anything.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            Nothing against sensible alternatives to fossil fuel, but apart from nuclear and hydro there just isn't anything.
            I suspect this is where all the frustration and emotion in the whole Climate Change debate comes from.

On the one hand, the Climate Scientists are saying "oi, beware!" and politicians won't agree or make changes. On the other the 'skeptics' are saying "taxing us and making us sort our rubbish into 4 bins is doing nothing!"

Everybody is frustrated because there's really very little can be done about it, even if it is true.
            Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
              I suspect this is where all the frustration and emotion in the whole Climate Change debate comes from.

On the one hand, the Climate Scientists are saying "oi, beware!" and politicians won't agree or make changes. On the other the 'skeptics' are saying "taxing us and making us sort our rubbish into 4 bins is doing nothing!"

Everybody is frustrated because there's really very little can be done about it, even if it is true.
              I thought they were going to issue us all with hockey sticks or something?
              “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by stingman123 View Post

The planet survived near extinction of the species long before man came along, and as an ecosystem, it will probably potter along merrily long after we are gone.

Even if "global warming" ever managed to get under control, do you honestly think it would ever be mentioned?

PAH
                Aye.
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
                  There are some very simple steps that could alleviate the problem.

Unfortunately with dodgy scientists colluding with politicians to raise taxes you're not going to get a solution before it is too late.

As a perfect example I shall drag out the catalytic converter: in a world facing a shortage of fuel only environ-mentalists would demand everyone has a device fitted to their cars that causes them to use more fuel and causes massive environmental damage to the areas where the raw materials are found.

Why not try doing this: just burn the fuel more efficiently, and use higher quality bearings. Way cheaper than a catalytic converter, and actually reduces fuel usage. It ain't rocket science.
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                    I agree. Even if this carbon stuff is a big problem, it is too big to meaningfully do anything about so efforts would be better spent doing something else.

I really do not want to sound like Malthus, I really don't, but population growth will more than wipe out the benefits of recycling your tin cans.

Originally posted by stingman123 View Post

I don't see why people can't live with the idea that one day humans will be as extinct as dinosaurs are now. It won't be the end of the world, so to speak. I suppose that idea would represent quite a major challenge to most organised religions .....

Comment

Working...
                    X