• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BBC bias

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBC bias

I know that most of the people in the media are Guardian reading lefties and that doesn't bother me. Despite what some people claim goes on, I have never been aware of any bias permeating through into the delivery of factual news programmes.

I know that many of the comedians that I enjoy listening to on the radio are left-wing but I have never felt that they have been intruding into my political views.

Having said that, I have noticed a couple of items on the BBC website over the past week or so that do not help the case for Labour at all.

Business groups back Tory National Insurance plans
    Brown admits 'misusing' immigration statistics

I can't remember seeing stories with that sort of negative tone towards the government on the BBC website before so maybe there has been an implicit bias that is undergoing a change at the moment.

So
    • is my deluded brain just making things up and showing me things that aren't really there?
    • or the BBC really thinks the tories will win the election and have decided to start being less hostile for the sake of its own survival?
    • or the BBC has always been anti Labour/Conservative* and will never change

What are the panel's views?

*delete according to your own particular prejudice

Both sides (and their supporters) regularly claim that the BBC is biased against them. This is what happens when politicians, whose most deeply-held belief is that "If you're not for us, you're against us," are faced with impartial journalism.

It's just politicians denigrating those who reveal the truth about them - it's always happened, and it always will, but you should know better than to believe them.

This is also why so many people think The Grauniad supports Labour when it is, in fact, the only national newspaper that can lay any claim to lack of political partiality, and most certainly doesn't support Labour in the way that, say, the Mail and the Telegraph support the Conservatives. I know because I read it, and it prints many stories revealing discreditable truths about Labour - just as many, in fact, as about the Tories.

Comment

It does concern me that so many right-wingers seem to be very anti-BBC at the moment, probably beholden to Murdoch.

I have to warn the people that would prefer not to pay the licence fee and not have the BBC that TV in countries that have no such arrangement is dire.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        This is also why so many people think The Grauniad supports Labour when it is, in fact, the only national newspaper that can lay any claim to lack of political partiality, and most certainly doesn't support Labour in the way that, say, the Mail and the Telegraph support the Conservatives. I know because I read it, and it prints many stories revealing discreditable truths about Labour - just as many, in fact, as about the Tories.
        April fools day was on the 1st you missed it by 1 day, better luck next year.

The Gruniuad revenue comes from not selling their newspapers, it comes from their advertising from central government. They are so much in bed with Liebour that when Gordon farts the editor goes into spoon mode.

Comment

Originally posted by bodnobal View Post
          April fools day was on the 1st you missed it by 1 day, better luck next year.

The Gruniuad revenue comes from not selling their newspapers, it comes from their advertising from central government. They are so much in bed with Liebour that when Gordon farts the editor goes into spoon mode.
          You should try thinking for yourself some time - it's much more rewarding than accepting whatever nonsensical conspiracy theories you get fed by the hive mind.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            You should try thinking for yourself some time - it's much more rewarding than accepting whatever nonsensical conspiracy theories you get fed by the hive mind.

ffs, you are over the age of 18 I bet as well. ******* education in this country.

Comment

Originally posted by bodnobal View Post

ffs, you are over the age of 18 I bet as well. ******* education in this country.
              Public school, old chap, and I'm in my forties

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                .. Having said that, I have noticed a couple of items on the BBC website over the past week or so that do not help the case for Labour at all.

What are the panel's views?
                Although I don't really believe the BBC is institutionally biased, it does seem that many presenters and commentators let their personal bias in favour of Labour slip out subliminally, or sometimes even blatantly.

For example, a couple of days ago when a female newsreader started an item about David Cameron her tone of voice seemed to turn slightly harsher and disapproving. It was hardly noticeable, and perhaps she didn't even realise she was doing it. But that's one example of many.

It's also well-known that interviewers like Andrew Marr tend to give Labour politicians an easy ride, and miss obvious rejoinders, in contrast to the harder time they give Tories.

Also, I believe Labour changed the BBC funding arrangements, so that licence fees now go into the general tax pot and the BBC is paid like any other Government department.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                  For example, a couple of days ago when a female newsreader started an item about David Cameron her tone of voice seemed to turn slightly harsher and disapproving. It was hardly noticeable, and perhaps she didn't even realise she was doing it. But that's one example of many.
                  Do you mean Sarah Montague on the Today programme?

I noticed the same thing a week or so ago. There was nothing wrong with the words that she used it was her tone of voice.

I should reiterate, I am not anti-BBC. It might not be perfect but it is good to have it. I now live somewhere where there is no equivalent and TV here is crap.

Comment

The BBC have admited to a minor left wing bias. they say it is because their producers and presenters are often left wing. Lefties recruit more lefties..

Comment

Working...
                    X