• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Holiday Snaps!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holiday Snaps!!!

Well I must say I thought it had a bit of something for everyone.
    After a few minutes on mumsnet it became abundantly apparent that the most contentious arena to visit, and the place most likely to produce polarised and divisive debate, was in fact the whole AIBU section. Just why those of a nervous disposition might choose to spend large amounts of time in there is anybody's guess, but to be analogous it would be a little like standing in the middle of a Boxing Ring during a fight and then complaining when you got caught by a stray punch. As one mumsnetter subsequently said

Thing is, just because someone's feelings are hurt, or they say their feelings are hurt, it doesn't make them right or reasonable. Really oversensitive people need to toughen the **** up rather than bleating every time they don't get their own way and expecting everyone to put them and their ickle feelings at the centre of the universe. Plenty of people start whining and chucking their toys out of the pram at the tiniest hint of anyone disagreeing with them. Like the kid who bursts into tears if s/he doesn't get allowed to win every game of conkers: other kids will either avoid the blubberer or take the piss mercilessly No one is forcing anyone to take part in online debates and if you start getting upset it;s time to switch off the computer and go phone a friend.
    Eloquently put, if I may be so bold.

But then of course it all turned out for the best..........but not before we had a liberal dash of Hypocrisy...................

Therefore I cannot under any circumstances endorse the strategies and tactics suggested in this guide for Usenet trolls (Usenet was the place to be before most of you were on the Internet, but forums are pretty much the same thing). I would most certainly discourage you from paging down far enough to study the section entitled "Trolling Wars: The waves system" as this might encourage you all to adopt a more subtle strategy.
    Nor can I recommend The Subtle Art of Trolling. If you lot managed to achieve subtlety, you could wreak havoc by applying those techniques - particularly if you were to learn to "Try not to follow-up to your own troll. The troll itself quickly becomes forgotten in the chaos and if you just sit back you can avoid being blamed for causing it.".
    Probably of little relevance, but so long-winded that it might keep you all from doing any more damage to that bunch of sanctimonious bourgeoisettes, is this intriguing paper concerning "Managing 'Trolling' in a Feminist Forum". As it so wisely observes, "Disruptive incidents that force group members to articulate explicit norms and rules may also have the unintended effect of strengthening an online group’s self-definition as a community."

closely followed by some breathtaking sycophancy.......

@SDTG: Although I didn't participate in the CUK "holiday" (I don't really agree with trolling) I was aware of it happening and watched what was going on. To be fair, it was only one CUKer (CocoChantelle on here) who persisted even when people had made it clear that (s)he was upsetting them. He behaves like that on CUK too, and then insults those who complain about his rudeness and general incivility.

..........ooops! Nearly forgot. Plenty of bedwetting. As I said above, something for everyone.
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Now, this might sound like I'm having a dig. I'm not. But in the last sentence, are they getting you mixed up with someone else?
    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
      Now, this might sound like I'm having a dig. I'm not. But in the last sentence, are they getting you mixed up with someone else?
      Bleeding hope not or I'll have to get my curmudgeon software upgraded again.
      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
        ...but not before we had a liberal dash of Hypocrisy...
        As it happens I don't agree with trolling, but I thought those links (from Wikipedia) contained some material than was both amusing and interesting. They also help to make the point that trolling and board invasions have been around since the Usenet days before the web existed, so they're not exactly anything innovative or clever.

Still, before the holiday all I knew about Mumsnet was a number of negative comments from various sources about the prevailing attitudes on there. When I decided to visit myself, I found that (as I should have expected) most of the people over there are perfectly OK, which reinforced my general belief that board invasions are pretty immature and potentially upsetting to others - and yes, I know that you have the deliberate intent of upsetting people, though I still don't see what you get from that.

So I'm quite happy to accept that I may seem hypocritical; that can happen when one modifies one's opinions in the light of experience.

Try a neo-Nazi forum for your next holiday. You may have a fighting chance against them, rather than getting your asses kicked as hard as they were by those mums

Comment

They just need a good shag
          Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            and yes, I know that you have the deliberate intent of upsetting people, though I still don't see what you get from that.
            See, I'm not sure that is the intent.
            Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
            +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
              They just need a good shag
              +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                As it happens I don't agree with trolling, but I thought those links (from Wikipedia) contained some material than was both amusing and interesting. They also help to make the point that trolling and board invasions have been around since the Usenet days before the web existed, so they're not exactly anything innovative or clever.

Still, before the holiday all I knew about Mumsnet was a number of negative comments from various sources about the prevailing attitudes on there. When I decided to visit myself, I found that (as I should have expected) most of the people over there are perfectly OK, which reinforced my general belief that board invasions are pretty immature and potentially upsetting to others - and yes, I know that you have the deliberate intent of upsetting people, though I still don't see what you get from that.

So I'm quite happy to accept that I may seem hypocritical; that can happen when one modifies one's opinions in the light of experience.

Try a neo-Nazi forum for your next holiday. You may have a fighting chance against them, rather than getting your asses kicked as hard as they were by those mums
                Well the main thrust of my "deliberate intent" was to inject some controversy laced with sarcasm to a venue that already seemed to have an abundance of both commodities. I believe in that I had some success. In a forum that vast I would suggest that the AIBU area would be a completely inappropriate place for the faint-hearted, and I doubt I am the only one to hold that view.
                Still, as long as we have you in the guise of Goody Two-Shoes following on behind toadying like a good 'un, I am sure we'll be fine.

Comment

My account would still appear to be active
                  ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
                    My account would still appear to be active
                    Is that not a little like being left behind on the beach at Dunkirk though?

Comment

Working...
                    X