• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Got done for a bus lane violation.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got done for a bus lane violation.

My own fault, because I'm stranger to an area I was in all last week (not far from Wembley) and I got a penalty notice this morning relating to last Monday night. It looks like when turning left in the car at a round about, I drove into a bus lane for about 5 or 8 yards (I guess) in error when making the left turn. What a plonker I am, but now I have to sit to see how many more "mistakes" I made last week. Could turn out to be an expensive week if any more of these turn up over the next few days. I never realised that councils had cameras focussed on catching otherwise innocent folk like this. How naive I am.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

You'll never work again with a record like that.
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
      You'll never work again with a record like that.
      I was worried that might be the case...............

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
        My own fault, because I'm stranger to an area I was in all last week (not far from Wembley) and I got a penalty notice this morning relating to last Monday night. It looks like when turning left in the car at a round about, I drove into a bus lane for about 5 or 8 yards (I guess) in error when making the left turn. What a plonker I am, but now I have to sit to see how many more "mistakes" I made last week. Could turn out to be an expensive week if any more of these turn up over the next few days. I never realised that councils had cameras focussed on catching otherwise innocent folk like this. How naive I am.
        Happened to me too several years ago in Hammersmith.

Extremely annoying and pedantic on the councils part as it didn't do any harm and was on the approach to a busy roundabout where they decided to leave only one car lengths distance from the end of the bus lane and the edge of the roundabout so when you change lane from the middle to the left lane, it is difficult to avoid the bus lane.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post

Extremely annoying and pedantic on the councils part as it didn't do any harm and was on the approach to a busy roundabout where they decided to leave only one car lengths distance from the end of the bus lane and the edge of the roundabout so when you change lane from the middle to the left lane, it is difficult to avoid the bus lane.
          That's exactly what's happened and I'm thinking that I can expect some more of these over the next few days. They must do this on purpose as revenue raisers.

Comment

There's one in Oxford like that I use regularly, and it's hard to know what else to do but to cut across the last part of the bus lane. And if you don't, you have the potential situation of being in the right hand lane when you're turning left, with a bus going straight on to the left of you.

If they put a camera up there they'd probably catch nearly everybody.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
              That's exactly what's happened and I'm thinking that I can expect some more of these over the next few days. They must do this on purpose as revenue raisers.
              If it's any consolation, I made that journey daily (it was my commute) for a couple of years and only ever got busted once.

Most of the time, I'm sure I never strayed into the bus lane at all but I'm sure there must have been a few dozen times I did and of those occasions, I was only busted once so, based on those odds, you should be OK.

Comment

Never had a bus lane ticket. I don't drive in them unless I've read the little blue signs.

In London, if you're careful, you can expect a ticket of some sort every couple of years. It's just a £25 a year tax. The best plan is to pay up immediately for the 1/2 price discount and forget about it. Why boil your own piss, so to speak?

The good news is that London-style traffic tickets are coming to a small/skint/badly run council near you soon.
                Cats are evil.

Comment

You should go on to the consumer action group, tell them your from CUK and that I sent you.

They'll bend over backwards to help!
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

If it's any consolation, I made that journey daily (it was my commute) for a couple of years and only ever got busted once.

Most of the time, I'm sure I never strayed into the bus lane at all but I'm sure there must have been a few dozen times I did and of those occasions, I was only busted once so, based on those odds, you should be OK.
                    Thanks fingers crossed then!

Comment

Working...
                    X