• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Criminals phishing on job boards?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Criminals phishing on job boards?

Received this mail from one of my email accounts I use for contract hunting.

Hello Nottingham,
    My name is XXX XXX; I am a hiring manager with XXX, a non-profit international student exchange organization specializing in managing exchange programs for university and college students all over the world. You are registered on one of the major job boards we use. Unfortunately, we only have limited access to your details so I am not sure if this opportunity is appropriate for you. I didn’t think there was any harm in making you aware of the role as it might be just what you are looking for. Upon reviewing your profile, I would like to offer you a position of an Area Representative with our organization. This position would allow you to work from home or office, since all your functions will be done through a web-based interface, which can be accessed remotely. Expected working hours are 9am to 2pm, Tuesday to Friday.
    An Area Representative’s responsibilities include:
    • Preparing materials that will be used for country & state guides for foreign students;
    • Working with host families, helping to resolve their issues, responding to their concerns;
    • Distributing of educational materials and grants from our sponsors.

Please note that you will need a PC or a Mac with a high-speed Internet connection, as well as a working cell phone or a landline to successfully perform as an Area Representative. All employees are provided with free training materials and are given an access to the remote web desk at our corporate web server. Starting monthly salary will be £1,200 per month, which can be increased basing on your performance level.
    Apply today for a rewarding experience in the international education & student exchange industry and make your first step the path towards the financial independence!

Please forward your resume along with your contact information to the following email:@@@@@
    This is a well known lure for money laundering. It's come from the well-known job boards as this was posted to the account I use with them.

The reason I'm posting this was that I didn't twig that they're getting my details from legitimate sources. Just to let you know...
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Thanks for the heads up.

Did you report it to the job board admin?

Note to self: Must pick up a PAYG SIM to use no. on CV.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
      Note to self: Must pick up a PAYG SIM to use no. on CV.
      I use a YAC number for all agents - then when I am on holiday, I can just switch it off and divert their voicemails to my email. I find it easier than having to keep two phones - plus it costs the agency a fortune to ring it
      If you have to add a , it isn't funny. HTH. LOL.

Comment

A friend of mine who is unemployed saw an advert for a firm advertising home-working by addressing envelopes - of course you have to sign up to the scheme, which obviously involves sending them a payment.

Now this is a scam that's as old as I am, but it's all been updated with flashy websites etc.

What I was trying to drum into my friend is why anyone would pay someone £0.90 per envelope (involves putting a sticker on it and sealing it).

He started to get the point when I said that I would quit IT completely and seal envelopes for a living if it turned out to be genuine as I reckoned I could do about 200 per hour.

The old saying... if it looks too good to be true...

Comment

Working...
        X