• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HTC Desire Review

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HTC Desire Review

Had full use of the phone since Thursday night now, so here's the initial opinion....

Very, very nice. I had to go into the T-Mobile shop this weekend to get them to unlock my broadband dongle, and mentioned to the guy that I had one, and he asked if he could have a quick go because the shop had sold out before he got to work the day they arrived.

The Good Bits

VERY responsive. Easy to pick up email from multiple accounts. Nice desktop - you can scroll left and right from the centre to get multiple screens of information, there are 7 in total. I've got one screen completely empty because I can't think of anything to put on there! Double click on the home button, or pinch to zoom out, and it shows you all 7 and allows you to zoom back in again.

Brilliant linking of applications - connects users email, phone, Flickr, Facebook and Twitter accounts all together in one place, which I like (my wife is on Twitter constantly!)

Camera takes decent pictures, with in-built automatic flash. Different clocks (which I really wanted from my G1!) - I have it set on the homepage with digital clock, showing local weather conditions from accuweather. As a gimmick, when you go to the home page, it animates the screen for the current weather - I have clouds drifting across the screen now, and yesterday it rained (until the windscreen wipers cleared the screen!)

USB cable to PC offers 4 choices - charge phone, HTC Sync, Disk drive, Internet Sharing. So, plug the phone in and it acts as a 3G modem for you - no need for tethering software a la G1.

Video player doesn't play AVI, but the MP4 that I have just copied over is pretty slick - screen is nice and crisp. Have watched youtube and it looks pretty good, as well. I also watched the GP qualifying yesterday on the BBC website, just playing it in flash rather than anything else. Flash plays out of the box - just been to the Flash website and it played fine.

Comes with a load of widgets and programs already installed - including a set of standard sample desktops (with widgets) depending on what you want to use it for. For example, "Work" has your agenda (from google calendar), world time, stock ticker etc.

Internet browser seems pretty good - they have borrowed the idea of pinching to zoom in and out, which is nice.

The Bad Bits

Annoyed that they have moved to a micro-USB cable for charging, though - but I found a cable in Wilkinsons for £7 or so that does it, so I can leave one at home and one in the laptop bag. Also means that I need new in-car chargers - USB to cigarette lighter socket £1 from the Pound Shop.

Group ringtone - I can add a custom / different ringtone to an individual, but to do it to a group you have to add it to each member individually. I like to have a different ringtone for agents, so I know whether to rush to answer the call or not (I have "Tales of the Unexpected" set). That's an Android thing, though, I think - had the same on my G1 so can't expect it to work on this, really.

RSS reader "News" doesn't seem to refresh - I have set it to refresh every 30 minutes, and if I open it and leave it open, it refreshes. However, I want to be able to flick to it and have the up-to-date feeds there automatically, rather than opening it and finding yesterday's news rather than something up-to-date.

Someone needs to write a decent LinkedIn application for Android. Seen the one on the iPhone, which is very slick, but there is nothing comparable that I have found for droid. Would be nice if the friend stream picked up from there as well, but you can't have everything.

Overall - buy / get one.

I have no idea how it compares to a Nexus One (since they don't seem to be too common at the moment!) or even to an iPhone. I've never used an iPhone, but have seen enough people with them. It's been touted as the Nexus killer, and the Nexus was touted as the iPhone killer - I don't know how accurate either of those predictions are (I doubt very, since people that like Apple will keep buying Apple regardless). All I can say is that I wouldn't hesitate in getting one again - although in 18 months I'll probably be drooling over something else.

With the G1, I sort of felt that I had to evangelize it because it wasn't quite as good as I wanted it to be. With the HTC Desire, I have no such need - it's very, very tasty.

If you have to add a , it isn't funny. HTH. LOL.

Agree wholeheartedly with your review. One other thing to be wary of is the poor battery life if you leave WiFi etc switched on. However turning the ancillary hardware off when not in use extends the battery somewhat considerably. There is even a whatnot which acts as shortcut to turn all the hardware on/ off in one place which sits on one of the desktops.

For some reason though I can't seem to get the wired internet tethering to work. The option is greyed out. Haven't tried wireless tether yet as have been really busy with new contract, sorting out digs, and trying to keep family happy.

Comment

Also, I tried to buy the sat nav software, of which I can't remember the name at the moment, unsuccessfully due to problem with google checkout. Ended being guided my wife,who couldn't find her way out of a room with one door, using google maps and I must say it was excellent. If only it had turn by turn voice directions then it would be great.

Comment

Much prefer the Nokia N900. If you like hacking Linux this thing is a joy.

Everything I need to work is on the phone so no need to carry a netbook around when I'm not at the desk.
        Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
          For some reason though I can't seem to get the wired internet tethering to work. The option is greyed out. Haven't tried wireless tether yet as have been really busy with new contract, sorting out digs, and trying to keep family happy.
          I had no problem when I plugged it in - unless it's a desktop OS problem. I plugged it into my Linux Mint laptop and it offered it straight away. I don't have a Windows machine to try it out on, "unfortunately".

I haven't tried wireless tethering either, as I have no idea how to even start trying to switch it on! Haven't found anything on Google that pointed in the right direction, so have left it.

I setup a desktop with four power buttons on it - Bluetooth, wireless, GPS and Airplane mode. Dead easy to switch them on or off that way.

I also downloaded RingToggle for it, so that I have a desktop shortcut to easily switch to silent or vibrate mode rather than pressing the off button and accidentally switching the thing off.

Comment

Just noticed a little feature / oddity: doesn't play animated gifs. Plays the flash advert on CUK fine but not the animated icons.

Comment

Arrrgggghhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have been informed at 5:30 on the 6th April that the HTC Desire Sim free release date has now been delayed, this applies to all UK Sim Free retailers and will unfortunately mean the item is not going to be shipped until around the 13th April

"Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                We have been informed at 5:30 on the 6th April that the HTC Desire Sim free release date has now been delayed, this applies to all UK Sim Free retailers and will unfortunately mean the item is not going to be shipped until around the 13th April

<ahem>

I mean - oh, that's bad news. I'm very sorry to hear that. You're not missing out though. Oh, no.

Comment

Does it do phone calls

Comment

Originally posted by SteveV View Post
                    Does it do phone calls
                    No idea - I don't actually speak to people when I could write to them instead

Comment

Working...
                    X