• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New doorbell

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New doorbell

Parents doorbell has given up the ghost and temporary solutions using radio controlled replacements turned out to be an easy and carp solution (batteries run out quickly and they are quiet and unreliable). Two (loud) bells are needed, one near the front door and another in the rear of the house. I think a wired solution is the way to go. Preferably one where the bell sound boxes are battery powered, as connecting them to the mains may be a PITA. Any recommendations? Or tell them to call an electrician?

You can get any of these at your local diy merchant.
    Easy to install and you can adjust the volume accordingly, some even have flashing lights to indicate when the ball has rung.
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

You are in IT man! Set up a PC, connect to the doorbell and have an app send an SMS to the folks mobiles. Shouldn't cost more than a grand.
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
        You are in IT man! Set up a PC, connect to the doorbell and have an app send an SMS to the folks mobiles. Shouldn't cost more than a grand.
        Webcam with a click button £5 and SMS software free.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Buy a door-knocker... £10 should get a nice one, £20 something very classy.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            Parents doorbell has given up the ghost and temporary solutions using radio controlled replacements turned out to be an easy and carp solution (batteries run out quickly and they are quiet and unreliable). Two (loud) bells are needed, one near the front door and another in the rear of the house. I think a wired solution is the way to go. Preferably one where the bell sound boxes are battery powered, as connecting them to the mains may be a PITA. Any recommendations? Or tell them to call an electrician?
            I have an antique brass door knocker on the door, but actually to tell me people are at the door I have PIRs at the gate, down the drive, and in the alcove. (That way if they get lost and end up in the wrong yard I know where to go and find them and it appears I was there anyway ;-) During evenings/nights the electric gates are normally shut and there's a video link for unexpected visitors.

I think what you're looking for is something like this from Maplin. Get two or three and select the same frequency. Robert's your mothers brother.
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Tell them to just leave the door open.

Problem solved.

Comment

Why not go retro and fit one of those vertical bog chain type handles, that visitors can pull and hear a faint tinkle of bells the other side of the house?
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

This is the one you need:
                  http://www.friedland.co.uk/en-GB/pro...ges/D417E.aspx

The chime plugs in to a mains socket anywhere in the house and the button is batter powered and lasts ages (in my case the bell push has lasted > 2 years, maybe longer, I can't remember changing the battery)

EDIT: Buy 2 kits, gives an extra chime for the back of the house

Comment

Get a butler or a maid that isn't deaf.

I think Bob has a second cousin that he could sell you for a much cheapness price.
                    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Working...
                    X