• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Labour's favourite stealth tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Labour's favourite stealth tax

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8602988.stm

Calling it Labour's "favourite stealth tax", the Tories say they have calculated that the revenue the Treasury received from NI had risen by 22% in real terms since 2001-02 - five times the growth in income tax receipts over the same period.

Previously, I had only calculated it at 2x, but I hadn't taken into account inflation.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...insurance.html

The reason is that the headline rate of tax (i.e. the standard rate) is the only one which seems to count politically nowadays.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
      The reason is that the headline rate of tax (i.e. the standard rate) is the only one which seems to count politically nowadays.
      I think this started under Maggie's rule. The Tories reduced the basic rate of income tax, but the rise in national insurance (presumably to pay for the extra 3 million unemployed) pretty much wiped out any savings. I also remember the Tories claiming they wouldn't double VAT... End of the day you have to remember you're dealing with politicians. If their lips are moving they're probably lying.
      Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
        Labour recognised this in 97 this which is why they were only too willing to promise not to increase it.

Also, employees don't see Employers NIC on their payslips, and probably assume it doesn't affect them.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
          I think this started under Maggie's rule. The Tories reduced the basic rate of income tax, but the rise in national insurance (presumably to pay for the extra 3 million unemployed) pretty much wiped out any savings. I also remember the Tories claiming they wouldn't double VAT... End of the day you have to remember you're dealing with politicians. If their lips are moving they're invariably lying.
          FTFY...

Your memory is correct this particular piece of bait and switch taxation fiddling started with the Thatcher era and has been happily carried on ever since.
          I find it very amusing that people are still taken in by the myth that NI is in some way not an income tax. It's a big fat revenue stream that most people ignore when income taxes are mentioned in the press.

Comment

I don't know which is worse: that politicians think that most people will fall for it, or that they are probably right.
            How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
            Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
              If their lips are moving they're probably lying.
              Read my lips - no new taxes.

Apart from the fact that George H.W. Bush wasn't talking out of his lips.
              If you have to add a , it isn't funny. HTH. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                Also, employees don't see Employers NIC on their payslips, and probably assume it doesn't affect them.
                Most pay slips to include employers NI. Most employees don't give a tulip if they are 'expensive' to hire.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                  Most pay slips to include employers NI. Most employees don't give a tulip if they are 'expensive' to hire.
                  Admittedly I've not had a non contractors payslip in almost 20 years, but I did help a friend sort out a question with their pay a couple of weeks ago and his payslips didn't mention the employers NI. I'm pretty certain of that.

I had assumed that most employers didn't ever put that element on the payslips, but I'd be happy to be corrected on that assumption.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                    I had assumed that most employers didn't ever put that element on the payslips, but I'd be happy to be corrected on that assumption.
                    The only payslips I've ever had with Employers NI on were when I was with an umbrella company a few years ago, and this was presumably so I could tally up the gross figure with what was invoiced.

My wife's most recent payslips didn't include this but I guess it may vary from company to company.

Comment

Working...
                    X