• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Termination of Contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Termination of Contract

I got back from a City Break today to have a message from my agent saying that my contract was being terminated for Gross Misconduct.

I had only just finished my first week.

It was sited that I did not turn up today, plus the work was substandard.

The PM who did this, I had asked for the day off and they had said yes. On Friday we had email discussions where they had said they were happy with my work.

They have instantly terminated the contract, but he and five colleagues new where I was and there was email proof to say my work was good. The termination is instant and the agent was very quick to say they would pay me until Friday.

I was on 10 days notice.

So do I go for the 10 day notice as well as there is proof this is bolllocks, or just swallow it.

Answers on a CUK board please.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

just swallow it, they gave you half your notice fees

oh and get a nice soft cushion for that bench, market looks boyant so you shouldn't need it for long

MG
    Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Go for the 10 days because you let the fackers get away with this and they will keep on doing sh1t like this without any hesitation!

Mailman

Comment

If it was just contract termination then its not so bad, but they use "Gross Misconduct" excuse - if I were you I would have insisted that the matter is cleared, and while they in all probability will still terminate contract at least it won't be for rather bad reason - if you won't contest it then you will have accepted that you indeed engaged in gross misconduct.

Comment

That's a bit of a shock, it usually takes much longer for people to realise your work is substandard
          As Mrs G says, sh1t happens. Knowing you I'm sure it was just a personality clash. You do seem to have a problem with people in authority (remember the previous sacking for insubordination?) I detect a pattern of behaviour emerging here.
          You can try going for the 10 days, and see what the pimp says. Good luck.
          How was Xmas for the tat shop?
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

You do seem to have a problem with people in authority (remember the previous sacking for insubordination?)
            If true, you sound like a great bloke to me MF. All authority is tulipe. In a decent world anyone who ever manages to reach a position of same needs hanging upside down from a lamppost and shredding.

PS How can anyone decide if IT work is substandard or not after a week???
            Last edited by xoggoth; 9 January 2006, 22:32.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I was there four days.
              It took two days for me to get email. They moved me from one machine to another, so i had to reset up twice.

I had my work allocated to me on Thursday. I made six meetings to discuss with the users, wrote up the process flow chart and did the drafts for the requirements. I read up on 40 reports, got all the previous documentation etc. I had a month to do the work, so sub-standard after one day is bollocks.

The agent phoned me to say I was absent with out leave but when I left the office they went, have a nice weekend in Amsterdam, see you Tuesday!!!!!!!

Its a bollock excuse. I asked for a day off on the 18th because of my gfs scan, and he said , oh you didnt say your gf was pregnant. Probably thought I wouldnt finish the contract.

So it must have been that. Amazing.

Oh when they meant would pay me for Friday, they meant last week. So no notice whatsoever.
              Last edited by MarillionFan; 9 January 2006, 22:45.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
                PS How can anyone decide if IT work is substandard or not after a week???
                They compared it with mine?

Comment

Sorry to hear about that, MF. I suspect you rubbed someone up the wrong way in your whirlwind of meetings, probably by them feeling you were going to make them look crap or wound uncover some gross inefficiency on their behalf. They moaned about you to your direct report and he/she did the deed for a quiet life.

The easy thing is, of course, to just walk away. The right thing is to clear your name and insist that proper notice is given rather than this "gross misconduct" bollox. You may be able to compromise over the notice period, even if that is down to zero days.

Of course, it is such a short one it won't be on your CV anyway and you certainly won't be listing them as a reference site. I have to be honest, if it were me, I'd probably go for the quiet life.

Comment

Mmmm... I have encountered similar - as Ive posted before one minute I have a signed contract for another 6 months, then the friday afternoon before the extension starts I get an email from Alexander Mann saying my contract is terminated, no reason given. The agent 'didnt know anything about it, sorry'.

I just made sure as many people as I could knew how Alexander Mann and Atos Origin behaved, and found another contract.

In future, im going to make sure I copy emails regarding holidays, performance etc.

P.S Name and shame. What did the agency have to say about it?
                    Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Working...
                    X