• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Business Analyst does anyone know what it is?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Business Analyst does anyone know what it is?

I see quite a few of these posts of "Business Analyst" and wonder what is
    you need to qualify as one, to me it looks like an extension of software
    analyst, any ideas?

Originally posted by ContractorMike View Post
    analyst, any ideas?
    Oh Dear....

BAs do what it says on the tin - they analyse the business, work on strategy, gather requirements, map processes, and meet up with systems analysts over a coffee and bitch about the PM. They use BPM tools, UML and all that fancy stuff.

Sometimes.

And sometimes they don't.

Here's a tutorial to help you find out more...
    Last edited by cojak; 5 April 2010, 17:48. Reason: I know - don't feed the trolls...
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Ok, who's on a sockie trolling mission today?

Whoever it is must be desperately bored.

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorMike View Post
        analyst, any ideas?
        They are not dissimilar to programmers but they wear suits, talk to you rather than their shoes, draw diagrams and can do joined-up writing.

Fish in a barrel ... sigh.
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

seems to be the 'in vogue' job description to use these days, i'd rather be employing a person with actual skills/knowlegde in the area the project needs than just a generic BA what can put said findings in said format or perhaps thats just the background i come from

Comment

Suggest you speak to our resident BA, SuitsYou01 who will be able to regale you with tales from the coalface, so to speak.

Make sure you wear waterproof clothing though!

Comment

Originally posted by downsouth View Post
              seems to be the 'in vogue' job description to use these days, i'd rather be employing a person with actual skills/knowlegde in the area the project needs than just a generic BA what can put said findings in said format or perhaps thats just the background i come from
              I've been lucky enough to work with many good BA's on multiple projects, a real BA is definitely worth their rate or salary as they will drive change to business processes and help the techies produce a solution that fits the now efficient process.

I still think the OP is a trolling sockie though

Comment

'nuff said.
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

BAs are programmers who can't do the technical bit. Programmers are Business Analysts who can't do the human contact bit.

In the olden days, back when we only had steam-driven computers, we had beasts known as "Analyst Programmers", who could do the techy and the human bit. But their job titles were shortened to Anal Prog, so it wasn't going to last. Also, the job required a fair amount of demonstrable knowledge and skill, which didn't really suit the big consultancy companies. So they split the role up, and ditched the techy bit - using contractors for that, when they had to.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    BAs are programmers who can't do the technical bit. Programmers are Business Analysts who can't do the human contact bit.

In the olden days, back when we only had steam-driven computers, we had beasts known as "Analyst Programmers", who could do the techy and the human bit. But their job titles were shortened to Anal Prog, so it wasn't going to last. Also, the job required a fair amount of demonstrable knowledge and skill, which didn't really suit the big consultancy companies. So they split the role up, and ditched the techy bit - using contractors for that, when they had to.
                    WNATS.

I was thinking the exact same thing and was about to post it until I read this.
                    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Working...
                    X