• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Copy of Passport

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copy of Passport

"it is now a legal requirement for every individual submitted to a position through xxxxxxxx IT Recruitment to have proof of their identity. Therefore, please take time out to forward a valid copy of your Passport or driving licence."

This concerns me greatly as the combination of my CV and either of these documents is enough for identity theft.

We are not even to interview stage yet.

Thoughts?

Originally posted by JimBobTwoTeeth View Post
    "it is now a legal requirement for every individual submitted to a position through xxxxxxxx IT Recruitment to have proof of their identity. Therefore, please take time out to forward a valid copy of your Passport or driving licence."

This concerns me greatly as the combination of my CV and either of these documents is enough for identity theft.

Thoughts?
    Tell 'em you're opting out/to feck off.

In whichever order suits.

Comment

Thoughts?
      If you are not opting out, then they legally have to check it.

At this stage, send them a copy with all the relevant details (date of birth, passport number etc.) removed, and if they remember to ask for the real thing, then do that once you get the role.

I had to bring a passport and utility bill to this client, but it's their very basic start of the security check process.
      If you have to add a , it isn't funny. HTH. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wikir Man View Post
        If you are not opting out, then they legally have to check it.
        Check what? And under what law?

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
          Check what? And under what law?
          Check that you are eligible to work in the UK. It's in the agency regulations.

Additionally there is a separate law about ensuring employees can work in the UK (as Baroness Scotland found out) and many agencies believe they need to carry that check out, even though you are not their employee.
          If you have to add a , it isn't funny. HTH. LOL.

Comment

Thoughts?
            It's a necessary evil these days, especially for most IBs, but can usually wait at least until the interview / offer stage.

If you fancy having some fun with the office junior pimp just tell them
            (i) you've never had a passport never needed one to travel
            (ii) you've never had a driving licence never driven a car

Comment

Just do it and stop making a mountain out of a mole hill. I suspect there are a million more dodgy things we all do than provide details that are now have to be done by law. I can't argue the actual legalities of of your agency having to do this. Just ask them what steps they do to insure the information is kept secure and get on with it.

Could also have searched for this as it has been moaned about a bazillion times.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Just do it and stop making a mountain out of a mole hill. I suspect there are a million more dodgy things we all do than provide details that are now have to be done by law. I can't argue the actual legalities of of your agency having to do this. Just ask them what steps they do to insure the information is kept secure and get on with it.

Could also have searched for this as it has been moaned about a bazillion times.
                Yes be a good little citizen and shut up.

Ps if we are to stop posting moans that have already appeared a bazillion times the board will be almost empty

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
                  It's a necessary evil these days, especially for most IBs, but can usually wait at least until the interview / offer stage.

If you fancy having some fun with the office junior pimp just tell them
                  (i) you've never had a passport never needed one to travel
                  (ii) you've never had a driving licence never driven a car
                  That would invalidate large chunks of my CV
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

They actually need to see the original not a photocopy as obviously you could fabricate a copy. Strangely lots of agents aren't aware of that though a few are and will arrange to meet up with you to do so.
                    Last edited by SueEllen; 6 April 2010, 14:46.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X