• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tenancy - credit check

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenancy - credit check

Hi all,

I've put a deposit down and the letting agents now tell me that their credit checking agency will reject me because I'm on a three month contract.

Given that I asked them if being a contractor was a problem at the start, and we're set to move on saturday I'm livid!

Anyone else had a problem with this?

Cheers.

They've got soemone else who's paying more or wants it for a longer term.
    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

One of the houses we own is let to a "freelancer" - he also failed the credit check but due to a poor credit history and a couple of CCJ's

We still let him rent the house as he kindly offered to pay the whole six months rent in advance....which was nice

Are you able to pay the landlord the full amount ? - if so they will probably ignore the credit check nonsense and it will save you a whole load of headaches looking for another place.

You lose the interest on x months cash which lets face it these days would hardly pay for your daily newspapers !

Comment

Originally posted by mulhall
        Hi all,

I've put a deposit down and the letting agents now tell me that their credit checking agency will reject me because I'm on a three month contract.

Given that I asked them if being a contractor was a problem at the start, and we're set to move on saturday I'm livid!

Anyone else had a problem with this?

Cheers.
        Nope, but then again that's because in such situations I always tell the person asking that I'm a employee of MyCo. Suggest you chalk this one up to experience and do the same in future, although you could try offering him/her a larger deposit (all 3 months rent, say) so that your creditworthiness doesn't enter into it.

Comment

In the UK I have always offered to pay the whole year in one go at the start to avoid any credit check
          Chico, what time is it?

Comment

Mine just contacted my accountant. Never even asked if I had a contract.

Comment

>their credit checking agency will reject me because I'm on a three month contract.

Bullsh1t. Your creditworthiness is based purely on your credit history. You could have a £million in the bank and still fail a credit check. Go back and ask them what they actually mean.
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Loos
                In the UK I have always offered to pay the whole year in one go at the start to avoid any credit check
                ****! The whole year! You are either living in a complete dive or suitably rich b!tch.

Comment

Originally posted by ALM
                  ****! The whole year! You are either living in a complete dive or suitably rich b!tch.
                  Not necessarily. Let's say you get a contract 70 miles from home. So were you to commute, you'd do 700 miles per week. Assume a nice practical vehicle - a Ford Ka say - giving 40mpg, so that's 700/40 gallons at ~£4 per gallon, giving £70 per week in fuel costs along. In reality that's at least £100 per week in car costs. Well that's not far of the rent for a decent small flat. And if you drive something less practical, we're talking more like £200 per week travelling costs. And the time you save not commuting can be spent earning, so you'll end up making money and not wasting time sitting in traffic and getting wound up.

And since you have more flexibility about client location, you can choose from a wider pool, and take the highest bidder (or maybe the only bidder in which case you are in work).

Fungus

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac
                    >their credit checking agency will reject me because I'm on a three month contract.

Bullsh1t. Your creditworthiness is based purely on your credit history. You could have a £million in the bank and still fail a credit check. Go back and ask them what they actually mean.
                    What you say is true of e.g. Experian, which is what is usually meant by "credit check", but in the case of a rental agency usually means having Rightmove score you. And then you can pass a Credit Check with flying colours but fail the agency's requirements.

Comment

Working...
                    X