• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Motorway Horror Stories

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motorway Horror Stories

What's the most dangerous thing you've ever seen on a Motorway ? Something out the norm, that made you go "WTF ?"

Mine has to be doing 70 in the far lane and seeing the car ahead shed its load of 2 bikes strapped to the back, across the carriage way.

That was a real brown trouser moment.

The other one wasn't dangerous (for me anyway), when a pheasant decided to run across the carriageway and I was doing about 80 to overtake a vehicle.

I couldn't swerve, and hit it full on. Smashed number plate.

Looked in the rear view and saw a cloud of feathers.

Pulled over at the next service station to check the damage and noticed the head and neck stuck in to the front grill.

Nasty.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Someone parked in the middle lane reading a map.
    A wheel coming off an Artic doing 50mph.
    Numerous road rage incidents.
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

My Dad lost the gas bottle off the front of the caravan. Bounced across six lanes of motorway without hitting a thing.

Comment

BGG,

I remember you telling the story about that car where the bikes fell off the back and if I remember you said, the family didn't notice and kept going and you built the picture of them pulling into the services later for diesel and the dad getting out and wondering where the bikes were

Milan.

Comment

I was driving back home on Friday when suddenly I heard somebody thumping on my roof (whilst travelling around 90 mph) ....WTF.

Anyway pulled over, and was relieved to see no-one on the roof . It was the windcreen rubber sealing coming loose, and flapping, the adhesive was also coming off, which meant the wind was literally tearing the windscreen off...oh sh*t, anyway drove on the slow roads and limped successfully home.

The thought of the windscreen flying off at 90 mph is...... scary

I'll fit an ejector seat in case it happens again.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Lorry shedding a load - of housebricks.

Comment

A long section of exhaust plus silencer speeding through the air towards me, rotating. Time slowed down, but that didn't appear to improve my reaction time. It either missed or no great damaged was caused that I recall, as otherwise I would recall.

Comment

Lorry shedding it's load of live Pigs (yep really) on the M3, very scary, very long time to clear up, bacon jokes etc on radio begin to get boring once you've been sat there for 3 hours watching dead pigs being scraped up and live ones being rounded up...

Edit: Apparently it's happened again recently on the M11...
                Last edited by Ravello; 6 April 2010, 16:49.
                Proud owner of +5 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

In the early '90's I saw a Volvo estate with 3 adults, 2 children and a large caravan doing 90+ fail to move properly from the outside to middle lane Southbound on the M6 near Stafford, the resulting partial jack-knife, rolling and utter disintegration of the caravan was impressive. The look on the face of the (fortunately) truck driver who unexpectedly stopped the caravan fridge from flying South on the Northbound carriageway with his vehicle was equally impressive.

Unsurprisingly traffic in both directions was stopped for several hours, fortunately the Emergency services were there very quickly and noone died.

I also witnessed a BMW 7 series driver try to cut in at the last very last second at a lane closure, the Land Rover (something) he tried to cut up was having none of it and the BMW driver finally stopped after whacking 4 or 5 of the big motorway cones.

Those are the two pieces of a very long list of muppetry that I've witnessed that stand out in my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                    BGG,

I remember you telling the story about that car where the bikes fell off the back and if I remember you said, the family didn't notice and kept going and you built the picture of them pulling into the services later for diesel and the dad getting out and wondering where the bikes were

Milan.
                    Yup, they didn't ! Even though everyone was flashing them !

I can imagine the driver looking in his rear view, wondering why all the cars behind him were swerving all over the road, probably thinking "mad nutters".

I bet they got a shock when they stopped and the penny dropped.
                    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Working...
                    X