• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Here We Go: Guilty Until Proven Innocent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here We Go: Guilty Until Proven Innocent

Now the wedge is in, Tony Blair is making sure it is being hammered in with a frenzy, no doubt to ensure he leaves a lasting political legacy.

According to Radio 4 this morning, the latest "Respect" proposal is that anybody found with more than one thousand pounds in cash on their person will have to appear before a court to explain how they came by the money. If they cannot give a satisfactory explanation, the money will be seized as likely proceeds of crime.

There's a nice precedent to set. And so soon after giving the police the power to arrest any citizen at any time, regardless of whether an offence has been committed or suspected to have been committed or not, and then to be allowed to forcibly take a DNA sample from them and retain it forever "just in case".

They'll water it down so that they only take the 40% tax on it. What a relief that'll be. It's only fair.

Comment

Originally posted by PerlOfWisdom
      They'll water it down so that they only take the 40% tax on it. What a relief that'll be. It's only fair.
      Yes, that's the old David Blunkett strategy. Announce something so sickeningly draconian it takes your breath away so that eveyone breathes a sigh of relief and pats themselves on the back when it's implemented as something only incredibly draconian instead.

Comment

Where I live you can get arrested for vagrancy if you have less than the price of a haircut on yourself, and that would be £1000+ in Hair for Guys.
        But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon
          Where I live you can get arrested for vagrancy if you have less than the price of a haircut on yourself, and that would be £1000+ in Hair for Guys.
          Ah yes, but the price of a haircut where? According to the bills I see, I don't think £1000 in cash would be enough for Mrs Lucifer to get her hair cut.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
            According to Radio 4 this morning, the latest "Respect" proposal is that anybody found with more than one thousand pounds in cash on their person will have to appear before a court to explain how they came by the money. If they cannot give a satisfactory explanation, the money will be seized as likely proceeds of crime.
            How many £50 notes can one fit into a condom?

Comment

It will probably be wrapped into anti-terrorism envelope.

Comment

in Britain the populace have been educated into giving cash a stigma

in Europe cash is king

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
                  in Britain the populace have been educated into giving cash a stigma
                  People here are deep in debt - its no suprise there is not much cash around when I first came to this country and tried to pay with £50 note in a chippy I had rather strange looks given to me

Comment

Compared to using a cashback credit card, unless the Bank of England starts giving Nectar points with every pound in cash you spend, I suspect this will be the case for a long time to come.

Comment

Working...
                    X