• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Google power

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google power

every hour Google's engine burns through 1 million kilowatt-hours. Google serves up approximately 10 million search results per hour, so one search has the same energy cost as turning on a 100-watt light bulb for an hour.
    http://www.newscientist.com/article/...ty-secret.html

bleedin' eck!
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Each server drawing 1 kilowatt?

I though google used standard desktop PCs as they were cheaper than massive servers for what they wanted? Which would draw maybe 400 watts at peak.

Comment

1Kw did seem an enormous figure but I assumed Google must be using super duper googly servers.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Fatal flaw in their calculations: Google doesn't just do search. What about GMail, Docs, YouTube, Translate, Maps, and all the rest?

Comment

Majestic runs on fluffy lambs and little chicks?
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            1Kw did seem an enormous figure but I assumed Google must be using super duper googly servers.
            Google use bog-standard kit: cheap motherboards, components, HDDs, and so forth. When something breaks down they don't even bother replacing it until the next time they have a clear-out. However, they link them all together to form massive grids of computing power that automatically cope with and route around such failures.

This is why they're able to produce such interesting analyses as this one about HDD failure rates (PDF Alert) from 2007. They use the same HDDs as we do, but have hundreds of thousands - by now, possibly millions - of them

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              Google use bog-standard kit: cheap motherboards, components, HDDs, and so forth. When something breaks down they don't even bother replacing it until the next time they have a clear-out. However, they link them all together to form massive grids of computing power that automatically cope with and route around such failures.

This is why they're able to produce such interesting analyses as this one about HDD failure rates (PDF Alert) from 2007. They use the same HDDs as we do, but have hundreds of thousands - by now, possibly millions - of them
              Why does that thought make me go all tingly
              I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
              CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
              CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                Majestic runs on fluffy lambs and little chicks?
                You've got to hand it to AtW, other people pay the electricity bill for all his crawlers
                ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
                  You've got to hand it to AtW, other people pay the electricity bill for all his crawlers
                  Tis true.

Although I wonder how many would be so happy to do so if it were a major corporation. I also wonder if I am breaking the T&Cs of my 'home' broadband connection.

Still, every little helps.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    My FF browser tab hangs when trying to open that PDF document. Is it just me? I appear to be able to open other PDF pages ok. Works ok in IE though.

Comment

Working...
                    X