• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Venice: How was it Chef?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Venice: How was it Chef?

Likes, Dislikes ??

Did you see the assumption ?
    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Venice was excellent.
    • Arrived early morning and caught a water taxi along the grand canal direct to the hotel steps.
    • Hotel as perfectly located in the Castello quarter around 5 mins walk from the Rialto in a nice quiet area with canal view
    • We went to see The Assumption, went as advised during a quiet period and although it's an impressive piece of artwork it's not really my thing, but good non the less.
    • I much preferred the Peggy Guggenheim modern art gallery
    • Avoided the main tourist areas during daytime and headed into the back streets
    • Walked most of venice during the evening finding the best Chichetti (tapas) bars
    • Ate at several excellent and highly recommended restaurants including:
    -Trattoria Corte Sconta (Castello, Venice)
    -Ristoteca Oniga (Dorsoduro, Venice)
    -Antica Tarttoria La Furatola (Dorsoduro, Venice)
    -Gatto Nero (Burano Island)

All in all, a very relaxing, romatic time and luckily the weather held out and so no rain..

thanks for asking
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Glad you enjoyed it.

Titian also had an influence on modern art though, his Diana & Acteon bathing scene was an inspiration for the likes of Cezanne. Infact last year the national gallery in London displayed them side by side.

The thing I like about older art is not that it looks more more real, I don't hold with that ignorant and usual sneer at modern art; it's that the older stuff was meant to be displayed in a particular place and is in context with it's surroundings. It also had meaning to the common viewers in their everyday life.

Most art is designed to be displayed in a gallery and I would argue because of this has a sort of sterility. Also because a lot of it is for the 'educated elite' who can unravel this art the common man is excluded and hence the usual sneer.
      But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Working...
      X