• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Your Articles Politcal Campaigns ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your Articles Politcal Campaigns ?

http://www.contractoruk.com/news/004817.html

This article lacks any real meat and is pure conjecture about what the conservatives MIGHT do if they get elected.

Very impressed they get in so quickly and maybe a sign that they are the people to run this country , we all need marketeers in control.

When a party clearly states what they are going to do then that is news IMO and I might vote for them until then I will be staying away from it all , this flies a little too close to the political hot air for me.
    Caribbean Resorts and Scuba Diving

Originally posted by PublicServiceBroadcast
    The Conservative Party has announced that IR35 will be reviewed as part of an overall review of small business taxation, should they win the General Election in May.

In a letter to the PCG, the Shadow Business Minister, Mark Prisk MP said that, due to the group's strong representations, “a Conservative Government would undertake a fundamental review of small business taxation matters, including IR35.”

As part of the review, CUK understands that the Tories would take account of the deterrent effect of IR35, and how IR35 underpins other legislation, such as the MSC rules and the incoming Agency Workers' Directive.

More importantly, the party will take account of any "IR35 simplification processes already in place," said a source close to the review team.

According to the official announcement, a David Cameron-led government will set IR35 as a priority for a newly established Office of Tax Simplification. This body will be made up of tax experts with whom PCG would work closely.

“We recognise and value the contribution of freelancers and we are well aware of the way in which the current Government has treated them," Prisk wrote in his letter.

"We want to deal with this problem comprehensively, in a way which provides us all with a lasting solution, not a short term fix.”

IR35 has, since 1999, caused "massive and unjustifiable problems" for freelancers who, in spite of the legislation, still contribute £21 billion to the economy.

Reflecting on the Tory party's pledge, PCG added: “We believe this solution has the potential to lead to a fairer and more workable tax regime for the vast majority of those who work freelance...however, will not be complacent.

"[We] will continue to make the strongest possible representations to any government of whatever colour after the election to remove IR35, which is a grossly unfair and badly drafted piece of legislation.”

Kate Cottrell, an expert on IR35, welcomed the review and said many small business, particularly one-person contractor companies, would regard it as good news.

"Given the state of the UK finances, I expect some improvements will result for traditional small businesses with the reduction in red tape," she said.

"But I also expect there will be little to celebrate for contractors, as it would be naïve to think that any simplification could result in anything other than significantly increased tax/NIC bills in line with all the political parties commitment to 'fairness' in the tax system."

At the time of writing, the Conservative Party was unable to comment whether a strengthening of the IR35 legislation, including stricter enforcement, was a possible outcome of the review.

"Our aim would be to create a clearer, stable and lasting tax regime for the self employed and small businesses," Mr Prisk said this week.

"As someone who was once self employed, I know how infuriating the IR35 rules can be. They are designed to stop tax evasion, but were introduced in such a clumsy way by Labour that they have affected millions of people who are acting perfectly reasonably."

Apr 1, 2010
    WTFPB?

Comment

more insight

? can you elaborate pls.
      Caribbean Resorts and Scuba Diving

Comment

Originally posted by www.landed.at View Post
        ? can you elaborate pls.
        Any party that proposes to review IR35 is worthy of a mention on a contractor's website. If Labour & the Lib Dems say anything about IR35 they'd get a mention too.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

(And I wouldn't waste my money on the Caribbean, either...)
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            (And I wouldn't waste my money on the Caribbean, either...)
            Really?

I fracking love it.

I wish I was back there now.
            How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
            Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
              Really?

I fracking love it.

I nearly said same, but I've only been to Barbados. Isn't that actually in the Atlantic Ocean rather than Carribean?

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                Really?

I fracking love it.

For diving, Dear Boy...

One of the most blandest sites in the world. They don't say 'excellent for beginners' for nothing (think skiing).

Lovely top-side I know - but if you're just going for the diving you'll be disappointed.

A warm water Stoney Cove...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

A warm water Stoney Cove...
                  They have buses buried undersea there?

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                    They have buses buried undersea there?
                    Pretty much so...

Comment

Working...
                    X