• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How long before your contract end date do you start looking?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long before your contract end date do you start looking?

Just wondering. My renewal date is on the 2nd week of May. Already been offered a two month extension, but though I might start applying if I can be bothered to look.

When do most members start looking? 1 week, 2 weeks, month, all of the time?

MF
    I wait until I'm finished then I start looking
    29.55%
    With a week to go I panic and start looking
    4.55%
    1-2 Weeks - Cooly does it
    11.36%
    Upto a month - Nice and calm
    27.27%
    All the time - Always looking to make the jump
    18.18%
    I am AndyW!
    9.09%
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

If onlt there were some form of poll technology......
    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
      What? Like a choosy option kinda thingy? Have a word with Admin see if he/she can rustle something up...

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        Just wondering. My renewal date is on the 2nd week of May. Already been offered a two month extension, but though I might start applying if I can be bothered to look.

MF
        I look 2 months in advance, to calm my OH's nerves because she is convinced that I will never work again and at the end of the current contract I will be unemployed, soon to be on the street.

Naturally there is nothing with a 2-month lead time, only a choice betweed PDQ and yesterday. But at least I am able to tell her that there is work out there.

(then 1 month 3 weeks later I look again and there's bugger all).

HTH

Comment

IMHO, in the current climate, as soon as you can.

My current gig ends at the end of May, been here 3 years then. I am already looking and interviewing.

Some clients want immediate starts but most long term contract clients 6 month+ are reasonably understanding of a months notice or so.

If you can secure a 12 monther and leave a month early, surely the maths add up unlesss you are expecting a lot of repeat business in the future from your current client, and dont want to upset them.
          Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
            All right. ALL RIGHT!!!

Bloody pedants.

Comment

WOW! Really! 1/3 of posters wait until they have finished their contracts!!!

Comment

WOW! Really! 1/3 of posters wait until they have finished their contracts!!!
                Used to. I normally get extensions so the end of a contract is time for hols or working on Plan B.

It's frustrating to look too far ahead.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

MF
                  Sorry for the delay, still recovering from the fact that someone hired you.
                  Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

What do you mean, start looking?
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X