• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why would a Labour win be bad for you?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why would a Labour win be bad for you?

Just curious, if Labour win the election, why would that be bad for you, as in, you personally ?

I mean everyone whinges on about high taxes (no problem if you earn more than £150k) and the public debt (what's the real impact of that?) and the war in Afghanistan (I don't know any soldiers).

Personally, I'm wondering if another Labour win would actually be better for me and many of the people I know. What's not to like about more spending on the NHS, education and benefits? More generous pensions, more working in the public sector etc? (GF Platypus is a teacher)

Personally, it would benefit me, as the pound would go into freefall with other currrencies.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
      I mean everyone whinges on about high taxes (no problem if you earn more than £150k)
      Actually it bites at £100K - and it bites really hard. The marginal tax rate from 100-112K is 60%.

Another bite occurs at 130K if you have a pension - before the final hit comes in at 150K.

Comment

In some respects.

The expenses scandal, the ridiculous wars due to being firmly embedded up the backside of the US and the giving away of our national self determination to the EU would probably have happened under the Tories.

Not so sure about the extermination of our national culture by massive and unrestricted immigration, the increase in red tape, the deference to third world cultures like totally crappy Islam or the expansion in welfare and the number of public sector parasites.

While Camoron is hardly impresssive, enough there to vote Tory I reckon.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          The expenses scandal, the ridiculous wars due to being firmly embedded up the backside of the US and the giving away of our national self determination to the EU would probably have happened under the Tories.

Not so sure about the extermination of our national culture by massive and unrestricted immigration, the increase in red tape, the deference to third world cultures like totally crappy Islam or the expansion in welfare and the number of public sector parasites.
          My point is that the expenses scandal might piss you off, but it doesn't directly affect your life, ditto the wars, national culture and public sector parasites.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
            Actually it bites at £100K - and it bites really hard. The marginal tax rate from 100-112K is 60%.

Another bite occurs at 130K if you have a pension - before the final hit comes in at 150K.
            Ok. Correction. Higher taxes are no problem if you earn less than £100k. Which I do.

Comment

Just curious, if Labour win the election, why would that be bad for you, as in, you personally ?

I mean everyone whinges on about high taxes (no problem if you earn more than £150k) and the public debt (what's the real impact of that?) and the war in Afghanistan (I don't know any soldiers).

Personally, I'm wondering if another Labour win would actually be better for me and many of the people I know. What's not to like about more spending on the NHS, education and benefits? More generous pensions, more working in the public sector etc? (GF Platypus is a teacher)
              I suppose you're right about that. I do approve of all those things funded by state spending, the only reservation is whether we can afford it.

As for the tax on higher earners, it's still relatively low, and I'm not that fussed about it. I won't cry for anyone on 6 figures who has a little bit extra tax to pay, whether I happen to be one of them or not (I do think they should make it more smoothly progressive, to avoid stupid jumps in rate).

Comment

Business rates and council tax
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Personally, I'm wondering if another Labour win would actually be better for me and many of the people I know. What's not to like about less spending on the NHS, education and benefits? Less generous pensions, less working in the public sector etc? (GF Platypus is a teacher)
                  The future no matter who gets elected I'm afraid, and higher taxes for most of us on top.

Comment

Ok. Correction. Higher taxes are no problem if you earn less than £100k. Which I do.
                    The thing is if Labour gets back into power around 2011/2012 they will have to do their spending cuts. This will include the NHS and education as they will freeze expenditure rather than cut it, so it will be a decrease in real terms.

In the whole of London, NHS London is working out how to save money and they are going to do this by closing down hospital departments. They are also considering getting rid of A&E units in some hospitals.

And while they are specifically publicly targeting the income of those earning over 100K they are actually targeting every worker and business who employs people with the NI increase.

There is no point increasing NI on employers when you have lots of unemployed people, you wait until the unemployment figures are low then do it.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X