• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cock up your project and a universe fails

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cock up your project and a universe fails

One phrase I always find intriguing is that "big bugs have little bugs etc."

Maybe you are a god and your most mundane action determines the entire course of a universe for the "bugs" below you. Minor software error? To you maybe but to the next layer down, you just achieved total genicide on a nation. I hope you can live with yourself.

PS I don't half think bollox when I've been at the Archers. I blame Mr P.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

I doubt if the human race was the result of a bug free application, more likely one of Bob's efforts.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
      I doubt if the human race was the result of a bug free application, more likely one of Bob's efforts.
      Yeah, who'd put the entertainment complex next to the sewage works?
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Having always worked on successful projects, I have nothing to add.
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          Having always worked on successful projects, I have nothing to add.
          SY. I am assuming you are excluding your present contract from the above statement!?!
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            SY. I am assuming you are excluding your present contract from the above statement!?!
            My present project is a success if you consider the PMs objective HAS to be to fail all the ******* time. Therefore an unmitigated success.

HTH

Comment

My present project is a success if you consider the PMs objective HAS to be to fail all the ******* time. Therefore an unmitigated success.

HTH
              Ah! Just change the success critieria to one of abject failure and you succeed.

Very clever.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                Ah! Just change the success critieria to one of abject failure and you succeed.

Very clever.
                <seeks crayons>

<draws big picture of project manager>

Look MF, THIS IS A PROJECT MANAGER

<draws picture of SY01>

Look MF, THIS IS A PICTURE OF ME

D I F F E R E N T

PM is resonsible for the project. I am responsible for the requirements definition. According to the developers the requirements are clear. The code that gets delivered is constantly total arse.

PM ...... SY01 <pause hoping vacant expression disappears from MF's face>

Awwww fergerrit. I tried. You are just too stupid.

It's not your fault.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                  One phrase I always find intriguing is that "big bugs have little bugs etc."

Maybe you are a god and your most mundane action determines the entire course of a universe for the "bugs" below you. Minor software error? To you maybe but to the next layer down, you just achieved total genicide on a nation. I hope you can live with yourself.

PS I don't half think bollox when I've been at the Archers. I blame Mr P.
                  Isaac Asimov wrote a short story in which human civilization was merely an expermental culture monitored by a higher being. When highly intelligent humans began to guess the truth they were driven mad or to suicide by a kind of cosmic antibiotic.

Well, I thought it was a great story anyway.
                  +50 Xeno Geek Points
                  Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                  As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

<seeks crayons>

<draws big picture of project manager>

Look MF, THIS IS A PROJECT MANAGER

<draws picture of SY01>

Look MF, THIS IS A PICTURE OF ME

D I F F E R E N T

PM is resonsible for the project. I am responsible for the requirements definition. According to the developers the requirements are clear. The code that gets delivered is constantly total arse.

PM ...... SY01 <pause hoping vacant expression disappears from MF's face>

Awwww fergerrit. I tried. You are just too stupid.

It's not your fault.
                    You've never been good with playing with fire have you.

Comment

Working...
                    X