• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

30 quid an hour? Is that all?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

30 quid an hour? Is that all?

Following the recent post from an agent and someone with 10 years of IT experience (at least claiming it) applying for it.

Is that the current status of the contract market? Blimey, I make more with my permie job.

Or is just a case of a typical shark attack?
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

My previous rate was £450 a day, but my minimum would be £300.

To me, a £300 daily rate is better than a 70K perm job because I have a lot more flexibility in the way I pay tax.

£30 an hour might be worth it to someone who would get 50K in a perm job. It all depends on your circumstances really.
    'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
    Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Alf will do it forra fiver.

Comment

£30 an hour tides you over during bad periods, really around £40 starts to give you decent take home pay.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

something to aim for

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus
            My previous rate was £450 a day, but my minimum would be £300.

To me, a £300 daily rate is better than a 70K perm job because I have a lot more flexibility in the way I pay tax.

£30 an hour might be worth it to someone who would get 50K in a perm job. It all depends on your circumstances really.
            300 daily would be already a rate of 40 and not 30 which is quite different, and plus it wouldn't make 70k a year (you wouldn't work 233 days every year for 5 years continously, more likely 200 so you would probably get 60k on average). 30 an hour would get you 225 a day and 45k a year on average.
            I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

I think it's a shark attack - agents preying on the vulnerable, out-of-contract worried contractor who has just been through the most depressing Monday of the year (apparently)

I went to see Brokeback Mountain yesterday and it was very good
              Chico, what time is it?

Comment

you wouldn't work 233 days every year for 5 years continously, more likely 200 so you would probably get 60k on average
                Are you sure about that ?

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Loos
                  I think it's a shark attack - agents preying on the vulnerable, out-of-contract worried contractor who has just been through the most depressing Monday of the year (apparently)

I went to see Brokeback Mountain yesterday and it was very good
                  Good for you Rebs

As for moi my Monday was spent being up all night in a bar in Badalona Catalunya, drinking orange juice only I may add, having a singsong with my guitar with several of my friends.

At 5 am the bar owner, whom Ive known for yonks, gave me a lift to the Barcelona airport, slept all the way to Brussels then straight to work, nae bother.

Got back to my penthouse (well OK then hovel) at 7 pm and went to sleep and didnt surface till 8 am next day, feeling very much the man in form.

Say no to depressing Mondays !

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates
                    Are you sure about that ?

Well, if you have a life and you are so lucky to never to be on a bench. But in a business world it would be like assuming that all customers in your market segment will buy your product, isn't it a bit unrealistic?

Comment

Working...
                    X