• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Live in South America, but still in the EU

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Live in South America, but still in the EU

Strange but true, and prompted by this thread.

Did you know that there's a bit of South America which is officially part of France?

French Guiana (French: Guyane française, officially Guyane) is an overseas region of France, consisting of a single overseas department (French: département d'outre-mer, or DOM) located on the northern coast of South America. It has borders with two nations, Brazil and Suriname. Like the other DOMs, French Guiana is also an overseas region of France, one of the 100 regions of France. Its currency is the euro. Almost half the population lives in the suburbs surrounding the region's main city, Cayenne.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Where do you think ESA tend to launch their Rockets from (apart from todays launch from Bakonour at appox 14:50 CET)

The Dutch also have an Island off Venezuala

Comment

Not meaning to be horrible, it has nice weather an all, but is in fact one of the most dangerous places on Earth to live. In the city/suburbs the likelihood of being murdered etc. etc. is very high if anyone in one of the hundreds of drug gangs think you're associated with one of the others, and if you think living in the rainforest would be safer, you've the illegal gold miners to contend with.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

It has a dry season and a wet season, in which you can expect copius amounts of precipitation, however the wet season only lasts from November to err well actually the beginning of October the following year.

Still as Threaded pointed out ...."socially" interesting.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

What about Falklands ?

Comment

Rats. I sort of knew it was too good to be true.

Sigh.

Comment

My French teacher is from Réunion, which is another French DOM (and therefore part of the EU) next door to Mauritius in the Indian Ocean.

Sounds better than South America.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Not to mention Guadelopue and Martinique. They too are Départements and therefore parts of France.

The Falkland Islands are an overseas territory and are not part of the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                  Not meaning to be horrible, it has nice weather an all, but is in fact one of the most dangerous places on Earth to live. In the city/suburbs the likelihood of being murdered etc. etc. is very high if anyone in one of the hundreds of drug gangs think you're associated with one of the others, and if you think living in the rainforest would be safer, you've the illegal gold miners to contend with.
                  I liked Belize, friendly spiders...

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    My French teacher is from Réunion, which is another French DOM (and therefore part of the EU) next door to Mauritius in the Indian Ocean.

Sounds better than South America.
                    It does indeed. Mauritius sounds like a nice spot as well.

Sun, boats and good food...

Comment

Working...
                    X