• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Returning to work - Advice please

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Returning to work - Advice please

I'm looking to return to work in IT after 3 years away from it running my own business in the finance sector.
    I have 15 years IT experience, last position being a senior manager for support and development teams.

Anyone been in a similar situation? If so, any advice on how to approach the contract market would be gratefully received.

Just apply for absolutely everything and anything you are capable of doing, no matter whether it's ideal or not. Once you've got three months of contracting back under your belt and a recent referee, no one will care about your "year off" anymore.

Comment

Ring round

Chase up all your old contacts at old engagements, see if any of them have any contracts going, for the more remote ones tell them there is a few quid in it for them if they find anything. Your friends make sure you take them out and get them legless, stuffed, shagged etc if they come up with a lead that pans out, if they give you a lead but it goes nowhere take them out for a pint for trying. They will be happy to wait until you get solvent again.

Do the same for them whenever they are out of contract / jobs.

It works, despite being out of contract during the last contractor recession I still made enough money to put food on the table and service the mortgage thanks to little jobs mates lined up for me. Current gig (permie admittedly) is down to a salesman I used to work with.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Make your CV look like youv'e benn doing somthing apropriate over the last 3 years also.

People are often put off by a build up of rust
        Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Originally posted by MrsGoof
          Make your CV look like youv'e benn doing somthing apropriate over the last 3 years also.

People are often put off by a build up of rust
          or a stretch for embezzlement.

Comment

Thanks very much for all of your advice.

Thankfully I'm not suffering from rust or embezzlement!

Are there any agencies you'd recommend?

Comment

Originally posted by TheMac
              Are there any agencies you'd recommend?
              The one with the gig you want. There is no other criteria really. No point limiting yourself (with the exception of the obvious no go "agents" like CP).

Comment

CP - Avoid

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
                The one with the gig you want. There is no other criteria really. No point limiting yourself (with the exception of the obvious no go "agents" like CP).

Just like to second Lucifer's point... avoid at all costs......!

Good Luck....

Kx

Comment

Working...
                X