• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Retention of security clearance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retention of security clearance

Evening all,

I am a week away from leaving my permanent position and stepping out into the world of contracting. My current position requires SC level clearance but unfortunately the contract I have lined up does not.

On confirming my clearance, my current employer stated in a letter that it would last "for ten years or until termination of [my] employment with [them]". I have since read elsewhere however that clearance in general should be transferable within a year of leaving a job that requires it (unless it natuarally expired in that time, of course).

My question then is this - can my current employer terminate my clearance as soon as I step out of the door, or are they bound to keeping it valid for a year afterward?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Originally posted by JonnyBB View Post
    My question then is this - can my current employer terminate my clearance as soon as I step out of the door, or are they bound to keeping it valid for a year afterward?
    Yes. They can terminate it once you leave the door.

In truth, SC is about as transferable as a set of curtains. It will help you get the next gig, but in reality they will probably need to re-clear you anyhow (or get some new curtains).
    Last edited by swamp; 8 April 2010, 20:23.
    Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
      Yes. They can terminate it once you leave the door.

In truth, SC is about as transferable as a set of curtains. It will help you get the next gig, but in reality they will probably need to re-clear you anyhow (or get some new curtains).
      That's not entirely accurate.

Obviously I'm not stating that I have Clearance as that would be a security breach, but I know of someone who has had their clearance successfully transferred (not redone) 5 times in the last 36 months which included an 11 month gap where it wasn't needed.

What every new role (or transfer of Clearance) does involve is one of the BPSS checks to be carried out by the new client.

JonnyBB it's possible that your employer could ask the DVA to revoke the SC, but that would be a bit unusual, I guess it depends on what terms you left to an extent. Normally their Security Office would hang onto it for 12 months and if in that time they were asked by a suitable ListX company or Government Agency/Dept Security Office transfer it over.
      As you've indicated you're already aware on the 12 month mark an unused SC will automatically lapse to non existance.

Comment

Working...
      X