• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

That's one way to spend an evening

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's one way to spend an evening

Next door neighbour and us get on pretty well (not the other side, they're tossers)

We have kids similar ages and we all gel.

Tonight I popped round as their teenage lad is mad about football, and sometimes pops round to catch a game with me and the kids. As he asked me earlier if he could watch the liverpool game I said I would let him know.

I nipped round to say that he could catch the second half if he wanted. He was out with his mum, and Dad answers the door. Drenched in sweat, red faced and thoroughly p*ssed off. The remaining kids had been playing up and running him ragged (we've been there)

He was working on his media centre PC, and his youngest had removed the chip without asking (or unclipping it)

£150 quids worth of quad core processor with a row of bent pins.
    And one rattled Dad.

I soothed him down, took the chip into my workshop and straightened the pins on my clean (newly assembled bench) under my 10000 lumen SAD light and his camera lens as an ad hoc magnifying glass.

Dropped in to the socket like a charm and the machine booted sweetly. Then I used ProcessMonitor to diagnose his CPU hog and he is watching DVDs happily.

So for all the times in Technical when I rant about leaving num lock on in my VM, I do pay it forward.

I am feeling quite happy with myself atm. What a guy.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Nice one, Suitie

But, I STILL find your avatar REALLY unsettling though
      I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
      CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
      CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Wilmslooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!
        If you have to add a , it isn't funny. HTH. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          We have kids similar ages and we all gel.
          Are you training them to be agents?
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

HTF does this thread get one star TINGLES ??

Comment

Meanwhile I've been talking to Herbie Hancock on the phone
              Me, me, me...

Comment

Hey, I just worked out how to rate threads - WooHoo!
                I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                  What a guy.
                  Yes indeed... What a Guy.......

I reached the ".......Dad answers the door. Drenched in sweat, red faced and thoroughly p*ssed off..." bit and thought you were about to tell us you had interupted his Pot Noodle......

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
                    Yes indeed... What a Guy.......

I reached the ".......Dad answers the door. Drenched in sweat, red faced and thoroughly p*ssed off..." bit and thought you were about to tell us you had interupted his Pot Noodle......

Comment

Working...
                    X