• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Strike over work beer drink ban

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strike over work beer drink ban

Classic place to work - can I get a contract

Carlsberg

HUNDREDS of staff at Danish brewer Carlsberg have halted work — in protest at a company decision to limit beer drinking at work to lunch breaks.

Mr Bekke said drivers retained an old right to have three beers per day outside lunch hours, and warehouse workers claimed the same right.

Yesterday, beers were removed from all refrigerators. The only place you can get a beer in future is in the canteen, at lunch.

Comment from WxMaN

"Carlsberg dont do best contracts in the world but if they did...."
    www.stormtrack.co.uk - My Stormchasing website.

I think this a strike we can all support

Yo, threaded, we expect photos of you on the picket line

Comment

Originally posted by wxman View Post

Mr Bekke said drivers retained an old right to have three beers per day outside lunch hours, and warehouse workers claimed the same right.
      WTF - drivers can have three beers Are they immune from drink driving also

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
        WTF - drivers can have three beers Are they immune from drink driving also
        It's Carlsberg, mate. You'd need a lot more than three before you started to feel a bit tipsy.

Comment

Oddly enough the truck drivers are actually exempt from the new rules, so they can take 3 bottles out on the road with them.

Most places in Denmark have beers, soft-drinks, water etc. in the fridges. Yeah, there are some uptight places that don't. Some have you pay 'pant': the return fee on the bottle. Some have you pay full price. Most have a club where someone goes to Germany and comes back with a trailer load (beer is much cheaper in Germany and you don't pay 'pant')

At one client, if I've cycled in, I often have to move crates of beer stacked up outside the shower room door in the morning.

Friday afternoon commuting is a nightmare: many drivers have had one or two, trains have a good few drunks, drinking, even though they are banned and there are stickers on the windows saying no drinking, and the cycle-paths are OMG: I've accidentally run over more than one that's had so many they've just keeled over right in front of me.

There again more than once early in the morning I've had white-van-man driving at me the wrong way down a one way street, balancing a beer on top of the steering wheel and giving me the finger with the other hand...

They brought the new rules in on April 1. Everyone there thought it was an April fools, especially as the drivers were exempt. When they found out it wasn't they were seriously annoyed.

The bosses should have consulted the Unions, you can get serious backlash in Denmark if you don't consult.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

ClientCo in Belgium provided free beer, it was always available from the fridge in the canteen. The unwritten rule was not to touch it until after 1pm Fridays when we started winding down.
            Me, me, me...

Comment

We have a fridge here, but we drunk all the proper ones and now we only have alcoholfrei.

While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Old Client in NL bought a crate of beer, wine and spirits to department meetings...
                B00med!

Comment

Did a contract at Carlsberg UK a few years ago...the free drink there was only on set nights - only the Danish had the fridges in the office!

Everything else about the contract was awful...but at least the beer made up for it!

Comment

Working...
                  X