• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Apple

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apple

one for the fanboys:

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/0...-for-adobe/?hp

Under the heading “APIs and Functionality,” a paragraph states that Apple will not allow applications onto the iPad and iPhone unless they are built using Apple’s propriety software:

3.3.1 Applications may only use Documented APIs in the manner prescribed by Apple and must not use or call any private APIs. Applications must be originally written in Objective-C, C, C++ or JavaScript as executed by the iPhone OS WebKit engine, and only code written in C, C++ and Objective-C may compile and directly link against the Documented APIs (e.g., Applications that link to Documented APIs through an intermediary translation or compatibility layer or tool are prohibited).
    For those readers who don’t speak alphabet soup, this section implies (though Apple won’t say so directly) that using Adobe’s latest multimedia creation software, which has a feature that generates iPhone and iPad applications, is against Apple’s rules. The new language was first noticed by John Gruber of the Daring Fireball blog.
    It was stuff like this I think that screwed apple the first time round in the old mac vs pc days.

I starting to dislike them as much as I dislike Microsoft. And I'm kinda over the whole iphone thing (Got one, novelty has worn off now and actually as a phone it's not actually all that great).
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

The sad thing is this probably won't affect Adobe that much. It'll be the little players like PhoneGap and Appcelerator (their Titanium tool looks awesome) who'll be screwed because of Teh Steve's hatred of Flash.

Their computer products are still, just about, better that the competition (I've already budgeted for the new 17" MBP - whenever it comes out) but behaving like complete tulips is making me rethink future purchases.

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
      one for the fanboys:

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/0...-for-adobe/?hp

It was stuff like this I think that screwed apple the first time round in the old mac vs pc days.

I starting to dislike them as much as I dislike Microsoft. And I'm kinda over the whole iphone thing (Got one, novelty has worn off now and actually as a phone it's not actually all that great).
      Oi, just hang on there.

Do you not remember the "undocumented" windows APIs that only Microsoft chappies had access to?

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
        Oi, just hang on there.

Do you not remember the "undocumented" windows APIs that only Microsoft chappies had access to?
        No, but I'm not a programmer and I hate Microsoft, so what's your point?

I think it's a BS cynical move is all. Probably a good business move, but not one I approve of or like, and one for me that puts them bang in the same camp as the MS's of the world.

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

That decision sounds like a nail in the coffin for MonoTouch. Shame, I was starting to hear good things about it.
          Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

No, but I'm not a programmer and I hate Microsoft, so what's your point?

I think it's a BS cynical move is all. Probably a good business move, but not one I approve of or like, and one for me that puts them bang in the same camp as the MS's of the world.
            My point is that Apple are only doing what most other suppliers do. The Apple platforms are not "open".

Also if you're not a developer, what's your problem?

Comment

My point is that Apple are only doing what most other suppliers do. The Apple platforms are not "open".

Also if you're not a developer, what's your problem?
              I don't have to be a developer to have an opinion on this one do I - or can only developers have an opinion on a company preventing people create apps?

I know they're not open, but I feel that the original reason given for not running flash (Too CPU intensive) doesn't really apply any more, and it almost seems personal now.

My next phone won't be an iphone, and this kind of maneuver is why, and in the long run I think it'll hurt them - the web isn't suddenly going to abandon flash because apple don't want to run it, and that opens the door for the open standards type competition imo. And fair play to them.

Comment

Apple is evil.

Comment

I don't have to be a developer to have an opinion on this one do I - or can only developers have an opinion on a company preventing people create apps?

I know they're not open, but I feel that the original reason given for not running flash (Too CPU intensive) doesn't really apply any more, and it almost seems personal now.

My next phone won't be an iphone, and this kind of maneuver is why, and in the long run I think it'll hurt them - the web isn't suddenly going to abandon flash because apple don't want to run it, and that opens the door for the open standards type competition imo. And fair play to them.
                  I'm not suggesting that only developers can have an opinion. I genuinely wanted to know what the problem was.

Comment

I'm not suggesting that only developers can have an opinion. I genuinely wanted to know what the problem was.
                    Oh, no problem. Was just a turn of phrase on my part.

Comment

Working...
                    X