• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boosting a wireless signal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boosting a wireless signal

Ok, here is the senario. Our neighbour in Spain (holiday home) has an internet connection which we have agreed to share. Last week I attached a wireless router to her connection and I am just about able to pick up the connection in our property. But it's quite weak.

Are there any products that I can set up in our property to boost the signal? I want to steer away from adding more kit in her house because I feel a bit awkward asking to be honest.

I should add that I am using a laptop with built in wireless functionality. It picks up the signal but is weak so I have to sit right by the closest window to her property - not going to bore you with a layout of our villa but lets just say that is not the most convenient position!

On Ebay there are some booster antenna that would need to replace the small router antenna in my neighbours property. I could do this if this is guaranteed to work - has anyone had experience of using these?

My perfect senario is to buy some sort of repeater/booster that I can place on my property, but not sure if this is possible?
    Last edited by oxtailsoup; 9 April 2010, 11:35.

Comment

Ring these chaps, they can help

Ring Telefonica you cheap bastard!

Comment

Bigger aerial? You can get directional point to point aerials that can cover a few miles. Or if you're cheap, use pringles.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
          Ring these chaps, they can help

Ring Telefonica you cheap bastard!
          There is no landline available. My neighbour has a satellite internet connection.

Comment

Originally posted by oxtailsoup View Post
            There is no landline available. My neighbour has a satellite internet connection.
            Ok, point taken.

I'm not going to do the work for you but here's a clue...

Buy some Pringles...

Comment

Don't forget it's a 2 way thing so it's no good having a strong signal from your router if the laptop can't reach the router.

A repeater is your best bet but you could try positioning the router in different places to see if it makes a difference.

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...CategoryID=259
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                Bigger aerial? You can get directional point to point aerials that can cover a few miles.
                Yep, see http://www.netgear.co.uk/office_wireless_antenna.php

I mate of mine set one of these up for someone and they work very well. Make sure you use the matching antenna cable, as cheaper crappy ones don't work so well.

These antennae and cables are available from Amazon (UK) but as you're in Spain that might be a useless piece of info.

Comment

Thick Ethernet and a Vampire Tap! God I miss screwing those in......

The heavy-handedness and brute-forceness has gone out of IT, people just expect to type something nowadays....

Comment

Working...
                  X