• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I know this has prolly been done but...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know this has prolly been done but...

I am a contractor of 10 years and have been ltd b4 and have used several umbrellas. I am with "cough" p4 at the moment and am getting worried.

I want to leave them but was peeved about my tax going up untill i came across Giant. My tax will still go up with them but not as much as everyone else. This as you know is due to the div's thing.

Q's
    1. are the only concernes with giants managed ltd company thing that at the end of the year you may have another tax bill due to higher rate tax liabilities...?
    2 is the service legally flawed?
    3 if my take home pay at the end of the year is 60k after deductions (50k of this is divs taxed @19% 60k-19%=roughly 50k) will i pay some higher rate tax??

confused

From my personal experience with Giant the main problem you will have is that they will charge you lots of money and feck everything up. After that, your other questions become largely irrelevant.

Still, it’s your funeral.

Comment

don't think the service is legally flawed - they just let you decide for yourself what is alloweable expenses and what isn't. They pay you minimum wage + divis with their Powerhouse scheme, which is fine as long as you are outside IR35

Yes they will fu.ck up your tax, ER NIs and EE NIs from month to month but not too much and the return is still good for a safe legal scheme.
      Chico, what time is it?

Comment

Originally posted by needmorstuff
        I3 if my take home pay at the end of the year is 60k after deductions (50k of this is divs taxed @19% 60k-19%=roughly 50k) will i pay some higher rate tax??
        (
        Yes. This will be assessed from your tax return and you will get a bill.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by tim123
          Yes. This will be assessed from your tax return and you will get a bill.

tim
          Tim's right (once again) you will have a tax shortcoming that you will need to deal with. However from your workings you appear to have missed some key points.

Firstly National Minimum Wage, therefore you'll 'earn' £10K in a year just to comply.

Secondly to take 50,000 in dividends (to make your 60K including NMW) you would need Giant to pay Corporation Tax on your behalf of 19% but thats 19% of the whole to leave 50000. So the actual amount is

50000/81*100 = 61,750 (approx)

You will get 50K of this 61,750 (remember you've already shaved 10K of you earnings to comply with minimum wage, so your 60K take home has now cost you 71,750)

Now anything you earn over 33,000 (approx) will be subject to tax, so assuming no rental income, second jobs or bank interest you will have 27,000 of taxable income

10,000 Wage
          50,000 Dividend
          ------
          -------
          33,000 40% threshold

27,000 left.

This is taxed on your self assessment form, but when you boil it down it effectively works out as a 22.5% tax (or thereabouts)

so you will pay an additional 27000/100*22.5 = 6075 in tax

Therefore this is your position

You earn 71,150
          Wage etc 10,000
          Company Profits 61,150
          Corp Tax 11,150
          Dividend 50,000
          Further Tax Liability 6,075

Which means you'll pay 17,000 (approx) in tax, I've assumed you recieve all the 10K minimum wage payments without tax although in reality there is a small charge on this

so from 71K you receive 54K

Obviously I'm not an accountant so you might want to get these figures checked, but they are a decent starting point. The IR online self assessment form deals with dividends without you having to do any calculations so you can just plug the figure straight in so its easy really.

Comment

And this is exactly the sort of thing Giant should be telling you, but aren’t. Do you see what I mean about them?

Comment

Originally posted by needmorstuff
              I am a contractor of 10 years
              Originally posted by planetit
              And this is exactly the sort of thing Giant should be telling you, but aren’t. Do you see what I mean about them?
              Come on be fair, he's only 10.

PS I agree with anything bad anyone says about giant.

Comment

Originally posted by PerlOfWisdom
                Come on be fair, he's only 10.

PS I agree with anything bad anyone says about giant.
                I don't have a problem with Giant, they are only 'bad' because their is no incentive to change, if people who didn't like them voted with their feet and told their contrcator mates, then they'd be forced to do something about they way they work, until then why bother?

Comment

Originally posted by planetit

Giant did tell me to hold back £125 a week to cover liabilities at the end of the year.
                  10 hehe.
                  Planeit - you must have had it bad with them, sorry to hear that. I have had it bad with every accoutnant/umbrella company I have ever dealt with so i feel your pain.

boredsenseless - thanks for that m8y - u have cleared it all up for me and it now makes sense. The fact that they told me to hold back 125 a week = 6k on a 48 week year is a good thing then. That was my major concern that I would have a tax bill at the end of the year that they didnt tell me about.

What has peed me off is that in the initial figures they touted it did not deduct this 125. It was not untill i got to the very bottom of the calculation that they deducted this amount. But I suppose at leats they did tell me.

Thanks guys/gals and good luck with whoever you are with.

Comment

I'm with the big one, just paid my tax bill on self-accessment, cost me a £11k, that was tax 2004-2005 and first tax on account payment for 2005 - 2006. No other revenue but my contract, which for 2004 to 2005 was quite low.

GIANT will tell you what to do but it seems only after you have signed up and costs you £250 plus vat for there help. I did it myself not diffcult.
                    Last edited by Ivor1; 11 January 2006, 14:01.

Comment

Working...
                    X