• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Referral bonus

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Referral bonus

I've often heard agents make comments like, "Well, if you do know someone who'd be suitable for this role, give them my details... we do pay a referral bonus if they get the contract." Or variations on the theme. Never paid much attention to it, but recently I actually did know someone who was looking for a job and fitted this role and I referred him to the agent and he got the contract. Whoah.

So, I mentioned this to the agent who I was routinely in contact with at the time and he was very friendly in his response and said, sure, I'll get the details across to you, we owe you for that one definitely. (Which is true - the guy I referred has picked up an excellent rate.)

But, hey, guess what, I never heard anything more. I dropped him an email, good-naturedly nudging him along in case he'd simply forgotten. No response. About ten days have passed now.

So, here I am thinking I really shouldn't be so vulgar as to push for something like this, and my mate is happy with his job and I wouldn't normally expect anything anyway, maybe a pint or something. But I also think, **** it, I should make a stand on this and demand something in return for giving them a nice little earner in the form of my high-rate mate. Do I have any "rights" here? It's all been verbal, apart from an email saying, "Absolutely, i'll get the details over to you," in response to my enquiry about the bonus.

Anyone else managed to pick up anything nice in return for a referral in the past, or does it just never happen and I'm being silly?

I got £2000 for referring a permie guy I was working with for a different permie job. He was being paid £17K per year, working with contractors on £600/day... he walked into a £50K job.

PeopleCo contacted me once to ask me to invoice them for a referral fee. I'd entirely forgotten about the referral. That one was £200, IIRC.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I got £1500 from my last company for recommending a mate and an agency once gave me £250 in Virgin vouchers for a recommendation.

So that's over 13 years!!! Don't hold your breath
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

If I was your mate I would telling the agent to get something sorted with some implied threat of walking off site. Really it is down to your mate though, you are stuffed in the end as you have fulfilled your part in the chain.

At the end of the day many agents are cocks of the highest order.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          If I was your mate I would telling the agent to get something sorted with some implied threat of walking off site. Really it is down to your mate though, you are stuffed in the end as you have fulfilled your part in the chain.
          Yeah, true. He's more a former colleague than a mate. Nice guy to go for a pint with, but can't imagine him putting anything on the line on my behalf.

It's just the principal of the thing. I haven't done much, but they've certainly benefited greatly by placing this guy. I'd be happy with fifty quid as a thanks or something, but I'm getting blanked! As I say, I feel awkward making a fuss, but also feel they shouldn't break their word like that. But, as you say, I don't have any leverage without strong co-operation from the guy who got the job, and I can't see that happening. More likely to end up getting blanked by him as well, and he might be a useful contact somewhere down the line.

Comment

A half decent bottle of whisky at 30 quid or a reasonable bottle of fizzy plonk which would cost the same, half a dozen havanas is another option.

Not going to break the bank but will just keep everyone sweet. Fairly pathetic they cannot go there. Agents I suppose.

Comment

The agent wants to keep the all the comission to himself, he probably can't remember anything of what was discussed.
              You could try sending him an email along the lines of "I realise you are too busy to get back to me so I'll just send an invoice for the agreed £500 referral fee to your finance department".

Bet he calls you back
              Still Invoicing

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
                I've often heard agents make comments like,

Anyone else managed to pick up anything nice in return for a referral in the past, or does it just never happen and I'm being silly?
                Unless it's in the contract don't take too much notice of what an agent says.

I've referred no end of people and never seen a bonus.

I think they're a myth.
                Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Yes just invoice them and also get your mate to say something as well. Not much of a mate though is he? using you to get himself a cushy job without giving a stuff about your dues.

The agent isn't bothering because the whole notion is so laughably trivial. Next time you need to hire somebody, engage an agency and tell them their end of the deal is £500 worth of Dixons vouchers and see how far you get.

Comment

I've just been told in the past- "Oh, he/she was already on our database thanks.".
                    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                    X