PDA

View Full Version : Referral bonus

dang65
11th April 2010, 12:23
I've often heard agents make comments like, "Well, if you do know someone who'd be suitable for this role, give them my details... we do pay a referral bonus if they get the contract." Or variations on the theme. Never paid much attention to it, but recently I actually did know someone who was looking for a job and fitted this role and I referred him to the agent and he got the contract. Whoah.

So, I mentioned this to the agent who I was routinely in contact with at the time and he was very friendly in his response and said, sure, I'll get the details across to you, we owe you for that one definitely. (Which is true - the guy I referred has picked up an excellent rate.)

But, hey, guess what, I never heard anything more. I dropped him an email, good-naturedly nudging him along in case he'd simply forgotten. No response. About ten days have passed now.

So, here I am thinking I really shouldn't be so vulgar as to push for something like this, and my mate is happy with his job and I wouldn't normally expect anything anyway, maybe a pint or something. But I also think, ***** it, I should make a stand on this and demand something in return for giving them a nice little earner in the form of my high-rate mate. Do I have any "rights" here? It's all been verbal, apart from an email saying, "Absolutely, i'll get the details over to you," in response to my enquiry about the bonus.

Anyone else managed to pick up anything nice in return for a referral in the past, or does it just never happen and I'm being silly?

NotAllThere
11th April 2010, 12:25
I got £2000 for referring a permie guy I was working with for a different permie job. He was being paid £17K per year, working with contractors on £600/day... he walked into a £50K job.

PeopleCo contacted me once to ask me to invoice them for a referral fee. I'd entirely forgotten about the referral. That one was £200, IIRC.

MarillionFan
11th April 2010, 12:28
I got £1500 from my last company for recommending a mate and an agency once gave me £250 in Virgin vouchers for a recommendation.

So that's over 13 years!!! Don't hold your breath

minestrone
11th April 2010, 12:30
If I was your mate I would telling the agent to get something sorted with some implied threat of walking off site. Really it is down to your mate though, you are stuffed in the end as you have fulfilled your part in the chain.

At the end of the day many agents are cocks of the highest order.

dang65
11th April 2010, 13:33
If I was your mate I would telling the agent to get something sorted with some implied threat of walking off site. Really it is down to your mate though, you are stuffed in the end as you have fulfilled your part in the chain.
Yeah, true. He's more a former colleague than a mate. Nice guy to go for a pint with, but can't imagine him putting anything on the line on my behalf.

It's just the principal of the thing. I haven't done much, but they've certainly benefited greatly by placing this guy. I'd be happy with fifty quid as a thanks or something, but I'm getting blanked! As I say, I feel awkward making a fuss, but also feel they shouldn't break their word like that. But, as you say, I don't have any leverage without strong co-operation from the guy who got the job, and I can't see that happening. More likely to end up getting blanked by him as well, and he might be a useful contact somewhere down the line. :frown

minestrone
11th April 2010, 13:45
A half decent bottle of whisky at 30 quid or a reasonable bottle of fizzy plonk which would cost the same, half a dozen havanas is another option.

Not going to break the bank but will just keep everyone sweet. Fairly pathetic they cannot go there. Agents I suppose.

blacjac
11th April 2010, 13:53
The agent wants to keep the all the comission to himself, he probably can't remember anything of what was discussed.
You could try sending him an email along the lines of "I realise you are too busy to get back to me so I'll just send an invoice for the agreed £500 referral fee to your finance department".

Bet he calls you back :wink

threaded
11th April 2010, 15:07
I've often heard agents make comments like,

Anyone else managed to pick up anything nice in return for a referral in the past, or does it just never happen and I'm being silly?

Unless it's in the contract don't take too much notice of what an agent says.

I've referred no end of people and never seen a bonus.

I think they're a myth.

thunderlizard
11th April 2010, 15:20
Yes just invoice them and also get your mate to say something as well. Not much of a mate though is he? using you to get himself a cushy job without giving a stuff about your dues.

The agent isn't bothering because the whole notion is so laughably trivial. Next time you need to hire somebody, engage an agency and tell them their end of the deal is £500 worth of Dixons vouchers and see how far you get.

Fred Bloggs
11th April 2010, 16:07
I've just been told in the past- "Oh, he/she was already on our database thanks.".

thunderlizard
11th April 2010, 16:10
to which the answer is "that makes no difference - it's your own silly fault for asking me for a referral instead of just placing them off your database"

SuperZ
11th April 2010, 19:22
I've just been told in the past- "Oh, he/she was already on our database thanks.".

That's BS, fact is they may never have called them if it wasn't for you letting them know they might be available.

I once shared a referral fee 50/50 with the person involved. In the current economic climate I'm happy to recommend people to agents I have worked with in the past for free to keep good business relations with these 'decent' agents, hoping they'll remember me in the future.

minestrone
11th April 2010, 19:50

I worked beside a permie in an IB who got someone in for an interview and the gig was offered and accepted, bloke was waiting for his 2 grand then they pulled the "sorry he was on out database 5 & 1/2" months ago".

FFS give the bloke his 2 grand, he left shortly after and was a top coder who knew his stuff. HR saved 2 grand but the department probably got shafted 10 times that getting someone new up to speed.

threaded
12th April 2010, 04:29

Yeah, that's the lie they fob me off with too.

I'd be less annoyed if they were honest and said we're not going to pay anything.

dang65
16th July 2010, 11:25
Well, to wrap up this thread, I just got 200 quid (in vouchers) after the guy I referred had been on site for 3 months. I'm happy with that, especially as the school holidays start today and I can get the kids something nice as a treat. Or I could just not mention it. Hmm, what to do, what to do.

SupremeSpod
16th July 2010, 11:32
Congrats on the referral.

My manager at Barclays was offered £1000 per head by FI Group if he replaced his contractors with Indians from one of their subsiduaries.

I was an FI Contractor at the time. This was just before they rebranded to "Xansa" - Bastards! :ladybags:

This is not anecdotal. It really happened and I have a copy of the email.

thunderlizard
16th July 2010, 11:40
Well, to wrap up this thread, I just got 200 quid (in vouchers)
Let's say the person that got placed was on £40k salary. An agency going rate would be about 30% first year salary and you've just done it for 0.5%, in vouchers. Go get 'em tiger!

ratewhore
16th July 2010, 11:52
I turned down a (derisory) referral fee and put two guys through my books instead.

Made £35K...:banana:

dang65
16th July 2010, 11:55
Let's say the person that got placed was on £40k salary. An agency going rate would be about 30% first year salary and you've just done it for 0.5%, in vouchers. Go get 'em tiger!
I know. But I wasn't expecting anything. And I did nothing more than say, "Yeah, I do happen to know someone - here's his email address..." So, I'm a sucker, but I'm quite happy. A happy sucker. What more could one ask for.

SupremeSpod
16th July 2010, 12:00
I know. But I wasn't expecting anything. And I did nothing more than say, "Yeah, I do happen to know someone - here's his email address..." So, I'm a sucker, but I'm quite happy. A happy sucker. What more could one ask for.

You also helped someone get a role.

Fair f**ks to ya! :yay:

Spod - In "Plastic Paddy" mode!

Zippy
16th July 2010, 12:15
Well, to wrap up this thread, I just got 200 quid (in vouchers) after the guy I referred had been on site for 3 months. I'm happy with that, especially as the school holidays start today and I can get the kids something nice as a treat. Or I could just not mention it. Hmm, what to do, what to do.

:banana:
Half for your beer/technology fund, half for the kids. Seems fair :D

NickFitz
16th July 2010, 12:17
You also helped someone get a role.

Fair f**ks to ya! :yay:

Spod - In "Plastic Paddy" mode!

WSSS :banana:

Moscow Mule
16th July 2010, 12:23
Congrats on the referral.

My manager at Barclays was offered £1000 per head by FI Group if he replaced his contractors with Indians from one of their subsiduaries.

I was an FI Contractor at the time. This was just before they rebranded to "Xansa" - Bastards! :ladybags:

This is not anecdotal. It really happened and I have a copy of the email.

Two Xansa Consultants walked into a building. You would have though one of them would have seen it.

TheFaQQer
16th July 2010, 13:18
Two Xansa Consultants walked into a building. You would have though one of them would have seen it.

:spel Steria

SupremeSpod
16th July 2010, 13:25
:spel Steria

I remember when they were "Feminists International"...:tumble: