• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MI5 staff who lack computer skills made redundant

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MI5 staff who lack computer skills made redundant

Linky.

Years ago, when I started in IT as a Support bod, I was amazed at the lack of general basic IT knowledge of most of the users in my office.

We are not talking advanced Windows configuration but things like, adding a printer, browsing the internet, saving files, understanding different file types (Word, Exel etc).

At the time, I remember thinking that companies should have a minimum 'entry requirement' when recruiting re: IT/Computer skills.

If anything, MI5's actions are a reflection of how pervasive IT has become in modern life and the fact that kids nowadays are more in tune with technology than their peers.

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    Linky.

Years ago, when I started in IT as a Support bod, I was amazed at the lack of general basic IT knowledge of most of the users in my office.

We are not talking advanced Windows configuration but things like, adding a printer, browsing the internet, saving files, understanding different file types (Word, Exel etc).

At the time, I remember thinking that companies should have a minimum 'entry requirement' when recruiting re: IT/Computer skills.

If anything, MI5's actions are a reflection of how pervasive IT has become in modern life and the fact that kids nowadays are more in tune with technology than their peers.
    Erm, surely a kids peers are other kids?

Comment

I laughed my t*ts off at this as they use Facebook as a benchmark to IT skills. I can imagine the interview...

Interviewer : Can you use Facebook?
      Applicant : Yes of course
      Interviewer : Ok you are in.

2 months later

Boss : You out. Clear your desk
      Employee : Why?
      Boss : You use Facebook which is computer missuse. Your fired!!

Using an app that is dismissable in most companies as an IT benchmark is just total FAIL in my opinion.

Why not go the whole hog by asking them if they can use torrent sites and can download Warez to their works PC!!
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

"But it's an essential part of most jobs. Just to pick out MI5 is a bit bizarre."
        Interestingly there is a newish EU project throwing significant money about to get Plods educated in IT and especially in the sort of IT skills these peeps need.

So why bin these experienced staff, when they could get their skills updated for 'free'?

Bizarre indeed.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Linky
          We are not talking advanced Windows configuration but things like, adding a printer
          I might fail on that one
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Linky.

Even worse, people without and IT knowledge worth talking about are making purchasing decisions and making key decisions on IT strategy. They seem to think that because they can use a Windows PC at home, it can’t be too different from the servers and infrastructure at work.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

You're quite right. Didn't they get rid of Malcolm for a young whippersnapper?
              Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                Erm, surely a kids peers are other kids?
                I knew I should have sat at the front of the class in English!

Comment

Working...
                X