• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would a hung parliment be better than a small minorty win?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would a hung parliment be better than a small minorty win?

I am not a huge follower of politics however I was watching one of the political programmes on Sunday and this question was posed and no one gave a satisfactory answer.

So really would a hung parliment be better as it would increase co-operation between the parties and so more things would get done - or would there be too much burocracy (sp!) and so nothing would get done?

Conversely if a party got in with such a small majority would they struggle to also get things done?

Can anyone offer any sort of insightful commentary on this?

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    I am not a huge follower of politics however I was watching one of the political programmes on Sunday and this question was posed and no one gave a satisfactory answer.

So really would a hung parliment be better as it would increase co-operation between the parties and so more things would get done - or would there be too much burocracy (sp!) and so nothing would get done?

Conversely if a party got in with such a small majority would they struggle to also get things done?

Can anyone offer any sort of insightful commentary on this?
    Personally I'm hoping we can get all the powers that be on a single aircraft and then crash it into the ground...

Mind you, it would have to be a bloody big aircraft...

Comment

sickly

A TU154 should do the trick

Comment

As I understand it, a small minority is constantly under risk of a vote of no confidence. Which is difficult to work under.
        On the other hand some sort of coalition (is that what we mean, I haven't heard the word being used) probably risks lots of intra-government arguments, things not getting done because the two parties can't agree.

Conclusion... both are bad. IMO the only way a government can get big changes made is with a big majority so they can ignore all other parties.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          IMO the only way a government can get big changes made is with a big majority so they can ignore all other parties.
          Which sounds a lot like a dictatorship. If "getting things done" is so important, why don't we just have a proper dictator?

You could say that we're electing the politicians to run the country for us, if they're not capable of putting aside their differences to work together then we need better people. But the problem is that MPs, and certainly ministers, aren't really allowed any independence and are always expected to follow the party line. And clearly a couple of Lib Dem ministers in a Tory government, for example, aren't going to do that.

So I think the only way it'd work if you can break the dominance of the party whips, and have MPs and ministers all able to work in a more individual way, and then it wouldn't matter too much about overall majorities. Which is perhaps how it ought to be.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Not sure about not getting things done. The Germans just had a big coalition government and it was pretty good at getting things done, because they could ignore the party activists, with the "oh well I would like to do that ridiculous thing your pushing for, but unfortunately our coalition partners won't have it" leaves them free to focus on solving problems rather than pandering to party conferences.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              Which sounds a lot like a dictatorship
              An elected dictatorship, where we vote for the party we want and then they are allowed to rule, would be OK with me.

The system where even the party in power has to win votes for major decisions seems a bit odd.

I don't think you can make bold moves without freedom to act (rule by committee, etc)... the problem is that this makes a party just as free to make bad decisions as good ones.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                An elected dictatorship, where we vote for the party we want and then they are allowed to rule, would be OK with me.
                Which is what we have. But even Tony Blair's massive majority of 1997 only got about 45% of the votes. As a principle, shouldn't somebody with absolute power have to have the support of the majority of the electorate?

P.S. 4000 posts! What do you think of them so far?
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                X