• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lib Dem Party - who should lead it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lib Dem Party - who should lead it?

Should it be lefty Simon Hughes, Ming, or that other bloke who I've never heard of?

Does it matter, and if so, why?

Originally posted by wendigo100
    Should it be lefty Simon Hughes, Ming, or that other bloke who I've never heard of?

Does it matter, and if so, why?
    Personal view is that it should be Hughes because he is the one makes himself noticed with the man in the street. Didn't realise he was particularly a lefty though.

That guy you have never heard of is the one who won Winchester after severel re-counts by a tiny number of votes. The Tory who lost took umbridge and went to court to get the result overturned on some spurious ground, and a re-vote was held. The population of Winchester didn't like the idea of having a bad loser as an MP and voted Oaten back with a landslide victory. I suppose that living in Hants at the time this was local news that was of importance to me.

Does it matter? Nope, the LDs are the resting home of the "none of the above" voters, few people acually vote LD, most of them are voting anti-the-other party, as long as their policies are't too looney they are always going to get some seats, but never enough

tim

Comment

Oh dear, Ming and Hughes both had a pop at Blair in PMQs today, and....
      "...there is no nice way of saying this - they both bombed, Ming even had what some immediately described as his David Davis moment - the single performance that blights leadership hopes." (BBC)
      I listened to Oaten this morning (or was it yesterday?), but he didn't sound very inspiring either. A lot of "I want to change the party" but nothing about what he wanted to change it into.

I, too, am at a loss as to what the Lib Dems are about, other than the tactical option, and the trouble with that is that their MPs in different constituencies hold different policies to each other, depending who their main opponents are.
      Last edited by stackpole; 11 January 2006, 23:32.

Comment

Working...
      X