• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How Increase Linux partition size

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Increase Linux partition size

I am booted on my Ubuntu live CD running GParted, staring at my screen in disbelief. I have 167 GB of unused HDD space I would like to increase my root partition to use. Eeeeeeeeeeeveryone on the web says to use GParted, the thing is the resize / move option does not allow you to INCREASE only decrease which is no chuffing good tbh.

So how would you Linux boffins achieve this? Any help very gratefully received.

TIA

SY01
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

How about newfsing it and mounting it as /data or something?

I might be wrong but I think with gparted you maybe have to create a partition first (as against just empty space as it is now) and then shrink that/grow root.

Comment

I don't know anything about Gparted but I would have originally created the partition using an LVM based setup which allows you to do that. If its an ext3 partition then you can resize it using resize2fs and these instructions are pretty good:

http://www.howtoforge.com/linux_resi...xt3_partitions

If its a reiserfs have a look at resize_reiserfs (man resize_reiserfs)

Some partitions are reasonably easy to resize but others can be a real pain as they have to be unmounted which is where a live CD comes in useful.
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
        I don't know anything about Gparted but I would have originally created the partition using an LVM based setup which allows you to do that. If its an ext3 partition then you can resize it using resize2fs and these instructions are pretty good:

http://www.howtoforge.com/linux_resi...xt3_partitions

If its a reiserfs have a look at resize_reiserfs (man resize_reiserfs)

Some partitions are reasonably easy to resize but others can be a real pain as they have to be unmounted which is where a live CD comes in useful.
        Thanks for this. Being a Linux novice of sorts I do like my GUI tools, especially when it comes to doing things like moving and resizing partitions. This walkthrough made my head hurt, talking about drive geometry and stuff. Is there an easier/less technical/less error prone way?

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          Thanks for this. Being a Linux novice of sorts I do like my GUI tools, especially when it comes to doing things like moving and resizing partitions. This walkthrough made my head hurt, talking about drive geometry and stuff. Is there an easier/less technical/less error prone way?
          Thats one of the myriad problems facing Linux, yes there are many GUI tools, possibly too many, but for the real nitty gritty work you have to get down to the command line and for something like this you might even have to boot into recovery or single user mode. Here are some reasonably good tutorials on Linux:
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Try parted magic. Download ISO, burn to CD, boot from CD easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Addanc View Post
              Try parted magic. Download ISO, burn to CD, boot from CD easy.
              Loving it. Will give it a good go. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X