• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expenses MPs Devine, Chaytor and Morley get legal aid

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All four are accused of theft by false accounting and if found guilty, face a maximum sentence of seven years in prison.
    So, as we taxpayers are paying for it, I suppose we should hope it's worthwhile and they get off.
    Last edited by Doggy Styles; 12 April 2010, 21:38.

Saw this on the news.

So they know that they're political careers are over so of course they're going to claim.

Scum
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

....and people wonder why we have no respect for the law, lawyers and politicans (many of whom are lawyers).

Comment

Gordon Brown says they'll have to pay it back.

So it looks like they're going to get away with it.
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

WTF are you all on about. They have as much right to public funding as anyone else. Christ we give that McKinnon idiot enough cash and people murdering, stealing, illegal immigrants...

Jeez get real....
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
            Gordon Brown says they'll have to pay it back.

So it looks like they're going to get away with it.
            Did he say when?

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
              Did he say when?
              He said

We have actually abolished this free legal aid from the end of June, so it has to be means-tested and they wouldn’t have got it in these circumstances.
              Which I believe means that they've got it and there's nothing he can do about it, and then he waffled that if they'd asked for it at some point in the future then they might not have.

Clever use of tenses to give the impression of a firm past event when he's actually talking about a potential future one.

'Weasel words' is the phrase IIRC
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Agree with Threaded ()

This will disappear under all the election news.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                  'Weasel words' is the phrase IIRC
                  That's what I thought. That change in legal aid rules doesn't apply to the Westminster area yet. So they won't have to pay it back.

A handy nail for Labour's coffin?

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                    That's what I thought. That change in legal aid rules doesn't apply to the Westminster area yet. So they won't have to pay it back.

A handy nail for Labour's coffin?
                    I would hope people have more about them than to vote based on the insignificant outcome of something that really has affected all parties I am more than ready to be proven wrong though.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X