• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you like films about gladiators?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you like films about gladiators?

Not a film as such, but while flicking through the channels on Freeview the other day, I came across the Gladiators show. Remember that? With the Wolfman, etc. Well I think it's still going on Freeview. This episode had the current gladiators 'competing' against the old ones, including the Wolf. It was quite sad seeing those guys as they are now, with their old profiles shown next to their current ones. Is that really the same guy? Yep. Feck. From how long ago? 10 years or so? One guy had lost around 100 lbs. Wolf could hardly support his own weight on the rings and another guy had to sit down for the interview after running the gauntlet. This makes me sad.

Any chance you could attempt to think about posting this in the right forum and saving the overworked mods a couple of seconds of their life??
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I was considering whether this counted as LR or not... but I'm thinking this is more of an observation about age. And - if in doubt, leave well alone.

Comment

I used to be able to code solidly for 12 hours a day, now I can only write about 3 lines of C# per morning. HTH.
        ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
          I was considering whether this counted as LR or not... but I'm thinking this is more of an observation about age. And - if in doubt, leave well alone.
          In the meantime I was Googling for data on mental decline (e.g. IQ) with age, but didn't find anything useful. Hopefully it isn't quite as drastic and sad.

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
            I used to be able to code solidly for 12 hours a day, now I can only write about 3 lines of C# per morning. HTH.
            I've been like that since LINQ and lambda expressions came in. I now constantly worry that if I've written n lines of code to do something it's because I'm too stupid to do it in n-1 lines, and will shortly be laughed out of the office.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
              I've been like that since LINQ and lambda expressions came in. I now constantly worry that if I've written n lines of code to do something it's because I'm too stupid to do it in n-1 lines, and will shortly be laughed out of the office.
              Yeah, 3 lines of code code now probably accomplish what 12 hours of coding used to do.

Comment

Ah, here's something. Peak mental powers reached by the age of 22 to 27, but for some tests, the decline doesn't start until the 40s. And for abilities based on accumulated knowledge, such as performance on tests of vocabulary or general information, the decline doesn't start until the age of 60.
                http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...ists-find.html

So if young lions start running rings around you on the newer stuff, the older coders can always hold their own on issues relating to how good it was during the war, or can become project managers.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
                  And - if in doubt, leave well alone.

And when did you start this new policy?

Ah, now I've heard it all.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                    Ah, here's something. Peak mental powers reached by the age of 22 to 27, but for some tests, the decline doesn't start until the 40s. And for abilities based on accumulated knowledge, such as performance on tests of vocabulary or general information, the decline doesn't start until the age of 60.
                    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...ists-find.html

So if young lions start running rings around you on the newer stuff, the older coders can always hold their own on issues relating to how good it was during the war, or can become project managers.
                    Or learn .NET, it's a piece of piss!

Comment

Working...
                    X