• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone migrated long term?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone migrated long term?

I've been out of England, in OZ for best part of 10 years.

I've never felt settled. Always to-ing and fro-ing inside my head about whether to stay here, or come back to England, despite finding a long term partner here in OZ.

Family is better than a sun tan right?

Anyone migrated long term then gone ditched it all and gone back?

Why would you want to come back to the UK just when the Age of Austerity starts (family excepted)?
    All the best people are looking to leave.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

If you come back here you will be miserable as everything will have changed a lot.

When you left the country wasn't in recession, people still had hope in Nu Labour, there weren't CCTV cameras on every street corner, etc.

I have had friends out of the country for 18 months and when they came back an entire new shopping centre had been built and opened, and the roads changed where they lived.

Stay where you are.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I did 6 years in California, came back to the UK in 2002 mainly for family (ageing parents) and I actually got kinda homesick!
        A bad workman blames his fools

EDIT: *tools

stupid keyboard.

http://twitter.com/TheAnonTechGuy

Comment

Originally posted by aussielong View Post

I've never felt settled. Always to-ing and fro-ing inside my head about whether to stay here, or come back to England, despite finding a long term partner here in OZ.

Only you can tell.

The questions that you ask will probably tell you more than the answers that other people give.

Comment

Originally posted by aussielong View Post

Being Irish I have many friends who have migrated long term.

Some go with the plan to return once they have childern and they need to go to school.

Some go, like it and intend to stay then around the 10 year mark wake up one morning and decide they want out. Pack-up can come back. Within a year some decide they have made a mistake and go back again. Only to return a few years later.

I think you have hit the 10 hump, be prepared, after you have gotten over the feeling home stuff, got and done all you wanted to do in the UK. The things that got under your skin are all still here, slowly they will start to get to you again. You will question why you came back and will want to leave again.

My solution has been is to take contracts where ever and comeback if I don't have any work. (or if I can work from home)

Try getting a contract in the UK for 6 months ++, see if this is what you really want before you pack up in OZ.
            Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
              Some go with the plan to return once they have childern and they need to go to school.

They come back to send their children to school here?
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                They come back to send their children to school here?
                No Ireland, also free Uni
                Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Trust me, you are bonkers wanting to come back here. As someone earlier has said, anyone that can, should be looking to leave. If I was 10 years younger I'd be long gone.
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                    If I was 10 years younger I'd be long gone.
                    hallo from Deutschland
                    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Working...
                    X