• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Religious belief in terminal decline in the UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Religious belief in terminal decline in the UK

Hurrah! As usual Britain leads the world forward into the light ....

Decline of religious belief
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Originally posted by sasguru
    Hurrah! As usual Britain leads the world forward into the light ....

Decline of religious belief
    Can only be a good thing.

See you, you ****. I'll cut you first...

Comment

Depends on the religion.

Comment

Originally posted by becker
        Depends on the religion.
        from the link:

"The study also found generational decline evident throughout the Islamic and Jewish faiths, but from a much higher starting point"
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Can anyone suggest what will shape our moral code (and hence legal code) in the absence of religious belief?

Perhaps we can look forward to a society made up of grey areas based on 'reasonableness' and trade-offs? How will codify this into law? If it can't be written then how do we guarantee consistency?

Comment

Originally posted by NoddY
            Perhaps we can look forward to a society made up of grey areas based on 'reasonableness' and trade-offs? How will codify this into law? If it can't be written then how do we guarantee consistency?
            This sounds remarkably like "Common Law" which as I understand it is the basis of English Law and has its foundation in precedent?
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Crosby
              Can only be a good thing.
              Mr Crosby, did you attempt to teach me A-level maths many years ago in an inner city Birmingham grammar school?

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
                This sounds remarkably like "Common Law" which as I understand it is the basis of English Law and has its foundation in precedent?
                You are quite correct. However, the problem with case law is interpretation and predictability (or lack of). Good statute is disambiguous and offers more predictability - which is good for business. Therefore most jurisdictions have a mix of both.

Comment

Interesting rebuttal in that article:

"There is an assumption that people 'catch' religion from their parents, but many people come to faith through the grandparents, schools, and their friends," said Steve Jenkins, a spokesman. He said that the study had not released "proper evidence".
                  "There's no proper evidence" sounds like something Chico would have said (or, indeed, did say in that other thread), even after having been given evidence. Ironic really for someone who considers an interesting collection of folk tales to be "proper evidence".
                  I'm Spartacus.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus
                    Interesting rebuttal in that article:

"There's no proper evidence" sounds like something Chico would have said (or, indeed, did say in that other thread), even after having been given evidence. Ironic really for someone who considers an interesting collection of folk tales to be "proper evidence".
                    Very true Spartacus. If you missed my other thread posted today about "Godless Societies" that's even more interesting. It has caused such a rumpus in the US even though most statisticians supported the methodology.
                    After that the loony Christians started ad-hominem attacks on the researcher.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X