• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella vs. Ltd Company - similar liability protection?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Umbrella vs. Ltd Company - similar liability protection?

If I go with an umbrella company, am I afforded the same liability protection (for my work) as a limited company?

AFAIK, a limited company - liability is limited to the paid up capital of the company (very little if I set it up). An umbrella acts as my employer - despite offering PI insurance, I suppose any legal challenge would be against the umbrella company, rather than me personally...

Could be important, should a case be brought some time after the contract (and insurance) has ceased.

There's lots of info about about tax liability for umbrellas; but it's hard to find anything about general liability.

Thinking about it, I guess the PI insurance provides recourse for the umbrella company against the employee should things go wrong, not the client and third parties?

Comment

Originally posted by jayflat View Post
      Thinking about it, I guess the PI insurance provides recourse for the umbrella company against the employee should things go wrong, not the client and third parties?
      Correct. The contract will be between the client and the umbrella company. The PI policy will be in the name of the umbrella company for whom you will be an employee. The liability remains with the umbrella company not you personally.

Comment

That sounds logical.

I can think of one notable umbrella where apparently that isn't the case; but I suppose it's because they don't (implicitly) 'provide' PI insurance.

Comment

Working...
        X