• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If the country is in recession...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the country is in recession...

...then why are all the bathroom fitters booked up solid for the next 2-3 months?

Folks spending on home improvements rather than moving house?

Think teenage daughters hogging the bathroom...
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I guess people are spending more time on them given they got nothing to do.

Comment

Because they've all gone bust apart from 2 of them?

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
          Things have changed - if demand drops people wind up businesses and go and do something else or nothing these days.
          I thought the recession would mean getting a choice of top tradesmen desperate for the work at wafer thin margins. Soon realised this was a fantasy.

Maybe if the new govt. cuts and removes benefits and raises base rates to 5% this will change?

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
            whs
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by chicane View Post
              ...then why are all the bathroom fitters booked up solid for the next 2-3 months?

In a recession, most people with jobs do better than before, as their income stays but their costs go down. So they have more to spend on their houses, and hire more tradesmen.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                most people with jobs do better than before, as their income stays but their costs go down.
                Are you saying that the cost of living has reduced during the recession? I can't say I've noticed!

Comment

Originally posted by chicane View Post
                  Are you saying that the cost of living has reduced during the recession? I can't say I've noticed!
                  Oh yes cost of living has hit rock bottom thanks to my 0.49% tracker mortgage...
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    Oh yes cost of living has hit rock bottom thanks to my 0.49% tracker mortgage...
                    OK admittedly the mortgage is a couple of hundred quid cheaper a month but everything else seems more expensive...

Comment

Working...
                    X