• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I'm glad I'm not important

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm glad I'm not important

Picture the scene at clientco. Senior execs and 'VPs' getting all worked up because they can't get to London for a meeting tomorrow. One of them's hassling his secretary who's been on the phone all day trying to get him a hire car and a ferry ticket but all the ferries are full and the hire cars are all booked. So he just keeps ordering her to find a way to get him to London. Another one exclaims furiously 'you Yurrupeans don't even dare to fly through a cloud!'

How sad. Besides the fact that the world's techies have provided the wonder of telephony to resolve exactly this problem, what makes someone think he's so fooking important that when a big cloud of volcanic ash flies across Europe everyone should move heaven and earth to get him to London? What kind of a **** are you if you just can't accept that you might have to wait until monday?

Honestly, I'm glad I'm just a contract test person. Better than being a self important shyte.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Picture the scene at clientco. Senior execs and 'VPs' getting all worked up because they can't get to London for a meeting tomorrow. One of them's hassling his secretary who's been on the phone all day trying to get him a hire car and a ferry ticket but all the ferries are full and the hire cars are all booked. So he just keeps ordering her to find a way to get him to London. Another one exclaims furiously 'you Yurrupeans don't even dare to fly through a cloud!'

How sad. Besides the fact that the world's techies have provided the wonder of telephony to resolve exactly this problem, what makes someone think he's so fooking important that when a big cloud of volcanic ash flies across Europe everyone should move heaven and earth to get him to London? What kind of a **** are you if you just can't accept that you might have to wait until monday?

Honestly, I'm glad I'm just a contract test person. Better than being a self important shyte.
    and you probably earn more and work less hours! Bargain lol
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Typical pointy head who thinks that technology can replace face to face interraction.

I am surprised at you Mitch
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

If they were that important they would be based in London in the first place.
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Did that person mention that a very very long time he used to be a guru of SAS programs?
          I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
            Typical pointy head who thinks that technology can replace face to face interraction.

Yes it will. But not quite yet. You might make it until retirement.
            I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

I may be being a touch cynical, but telecommuting won't get you a weekend in London on expenses either.
              +50 Xeno Geek Points
              Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
              As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

You cant bang you bit on the side from the London office over teleconference either!!
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                  I may be being a touch cynical, but telecommuting won't get you a weekend in London on expenses either.
                  Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  You cant bang you bit on the side from the London office over teleconference either!!
                  I think you chaps have spotted the real issue here.

Comment

Of course it can't. But in the circumstances, any sensible person will surely accept the telephone as an alternative, or just wait until monday.

Comment

Working...
                    X